Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Bleeding and worried  (Read 1381 times)

Lizab

Bleeding and worried
« on: November 15, 2017, 01:29:23 AM »

Long story short, I was having few and far between periods when I went on HRT for about a year. On the HRT, I had scheduled monthly bleeds. I quit HRT in January, had a final withdrawal bleed immediately upon stopping, then a month later had a tiny bit of staining one day, not even really spotting. Nothing since February. My last natural period was I think December 2015, just before starting HRT, so I don't know if I should be post menopause at this point, though my FSH levels that year indicated I was.

Now I've been having some stained discharge for a few days, mostly only when I wipe, some brown, some pink, some red. I'm not even needing a pantiliner. I did have a migraine last week, and I recall breast tenderness a few days ago. I feel sort of crampy, not terribly painful, and a fullness. Basically, it feels like a period. But I'm not really bleeding. If it would just come on a full period I wouldn't worry so much, though I would still be shattered as I thought I was finally getting past this. I've worked myself into a real panic over this, convinced it's cancer or something. And if it's not that then that all the chaos from before will return. I'm also anxious about the thought of dealing with investigations. My doctor is great but I know I'll have to go to the gynecologist group for this and I've had bad experiences in the past. The gynecologists are actually great too, but getting appointments and results are a nightmare. I'm sure it'll be months before I get answers if even a first appointment.

So, anyone have a period after you thought it was all over that only amounted to light staining?

Hurdity

Re: Bleeding and worried
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 08:53:01 AM »

Sounds like your body was trying to have a period LizaB - maybe it will develop into one or maybe the staining is all you will get. The other bodily symptoms are a good sign that this is due to normal hormonal change. As you haven't been a year without periods then I don't think docs would require an investigation but if you have reason to be worried do go to your GP who may or may not refer you to a gynaecologist as it isn;t post-menopausal bleeding as such (12 months is the cut off). FSH levels are not a reliable indication of exact menopausal status.

Even if it was another period - it may not necessarily mean they are going to start all over again - could just be a last blip from your ovaries.

My last natural one ( before starting HRT) was very very light and I had almost forgotten the feeling as it had been 5 months and the previous one a few months before that - basically anything goes at this point!

Do try not to worry, and hopefully others will be along to tell you about their  more recent experiences....

Hurdity x

Lizab

Re: Bleeding and worried
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 01:12:05 PM »

Thank you, Hurdity. That sounds reasonable and does make me feel better. I guess my main reason for worrying is my age and wondering if there's actually something wrong that they missed in the initial investigations. But in thinking, I have several factors that would lead to an early menopause, Hashimotos, a history of smoking, and my mother was early 40s when she finished, so it's not unreasonable to expect this. I'll watch and wait as my yearly exam is coming up soon anyway. I can mention it then.