Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Estriol spotting  (Read 1776 times)

Lunalowe

Estriol spotting
« on: November 12, 2017, 07:58:17 PM »

Hello all,

Am new here and new to the world of HRT. Horrible introduction via series of repeat utis never before having had one before and lots of time off work.

I realised that sadly at age of 46 thought this must be due to long perimeno I've had for about 8 years. Now no period for 7 months but sadly tbh vag lube went many many years ago ☹️☹️☹️

So.... I am now the proud owner of a tube of estriol cream and have just started using it but think it has made me bleed a bit and slightly tender tummy....
has this happened to anyone else and does it go away ?
Be grateful for any advice ! Desperate to restore poor vag and stop dreaded utis .....

X L

Dancinggirl

Re: Estriol spotting
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 10:17:38 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM
If you have only gone 7 months without a period, you are still technically in peri menopause - so your hormones will still be fluctuating and your periods may still return on and off.
Urogenital atrophy is horrid and very common when menopause hits.  Local oestrogen will certainly help although, at you age, full HRT may well be appropriate to protect you heart and bones for the longer term. Oestrogen deficiency so young can cause health issues in the long term and your GP should have discussed this with you.

This local oestrogen treatment can sometimes cause some pain and slight bleeding at first, however, it is such a low dose of oestrogen, it is more likely that your ovaries are having the occasional last gasp.

Do use this cream every day for 2 weeks and then 2-3 times a week from then on - you are likely to need this for the rest of your life or the atrophy will return. I would also suggest you invest in some oestrogen moisturiser - the most popular moisturisers to use are SYLK or the YES products which you can buy online. Use the moisturiser daily but at a different time to the oestrogen cream.
Avoid tea, coffee, acidic fruit juices and alcohol.  Drink lots of water. Take showers not baths and avoid using anything scented to wash with.  Don't allow shampoo to get near your 'lady bits'.

The UTI type symptoms are so common when meno hits - you are not alone. I'd discuss trying full HRT, together with the oestrogen cream, to really help restore your urogenital health and protect you heart and bones.  If you find the cream a bit messy to use, then ask for Vagifem pessaries instead as they are slightly easier to use and often cause less irritation.
Keep us posted - we are here to support you.   DG x

Lunalowe

Re: Estriol spotting
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 01:48:32 PM »

Thank you so much DG !

I Will keep going with estriol and make appointment to discuss HRT in a bit . It's a lot to get your head round so I am very grateful for the advice.

I've been managing so far with Acupuncture and Vogel menopause supplements which I think have been brilliant but feels like my bodies stepped it up a notch so will definitely have a chat with my GP.

My 10 year old daughter has started her period this week - same week as I start the old lady cream so there is a wheel turning that I have to get my head round !

X LL