Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Constant Thrush/skin irritation during menopause  (Read 6712 times)

Nairn

Constant Thrush/skin irritation during menopause
« on: November 12, 2017, 10:24:26 AM »

Hi,

Looking for advice please - as well as the other joys of menopause, I am suffering from a constant vicious circle of severe vulval/vaginal skin irritation and rawness, which in turn leads to thrush and vice verse and it's a very painful vicious circle.  Anyone been there and could recommend anything? I am at my wits end and seem to have exhausted most options.  My consultant thinks I could have fluconazonle resistant thrush, but she is not sure what to prescribe.  Have tried most non bio washing powders and bathing regimes I can think of but to no effect - any help appreciated.  I am on HRT and currently taking Femoston 2/10 which works well for everything else.  Thank you

Maryjane

Re: Constant Thrush/skin irritation during menopause
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 11:56:49 AM »

Are you sure it isn't vaginal atrophy ? As can mimic thrush.

Nairn

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 12:09:19 PM »

Hi Maryjane

Thanks- I have been positive for thrush in swab tests but being 50 and in menopause then it could be vaginal atrophy as well - if you have experience  :( I would be grateful of any recommendations

Thanks x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 03:51:29 PM »

Hi Nairn - welcome to MM
Yep, this is all very common.  Sadly many consultants believe that HRT will also treat urogenital atrophy. Systemic HRt doesn't always help our ‘lady bits' so local oestrogen e.g. VAgifem is advisable alongside the HRT.  Do look up the thread ‘The Burning Club' and you will see you are not alone.

I've had this problem for many years so here are my suggestions:
Wear loose clothing around the ‘lady bits'
Take Showers not baths.
Wash ‘lady bits' with unscented washes - never wash your hair in the shower or let the shampoo near your ‘lady bit's'.
Get Vagifem or oestrogen cream from GP and use regularly - for the rest of your life. This will help maintain the health of your urogenital area.
Use vaginal moisturiser daily - the most popular are SYLK and the YES products (buy these online).
When really itchy, try using Multi Gyn Actigel to restore the flora balance in the vagina (buy online)
Clean yourself really well after opening your bowels - unscented wet wipes are essential.
Avoid acidic drinks e.g. coffee, tea, wine, fruit juices.  Drink penny of water.

It's a matter of management - so many women must be suffering but are embarrassed to seek help.  Local oestrogen should be standard preventative treatment once we reach menopause.  This would prevent too much ineffective treatment for thrush, BV and UTIs.
Give these strategies a try and let us know how you get on.  DG x

Nairn

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 04:09:58 PM »

Hi Dancing Girl

Many thanks for your advice.  I did look at the burning club page but thought it was more for UTIs however I will now have another look.  I can't use Sylk as allergic to kiwi but will try the YES  - thanks again - good to know I'm not alone. :).  Anyone have a view on washing liquid/powder? I have been using fairy non bio but now wondering about the that as well

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 04:15:46 PM »

As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry: skin, nostrils, deep in the ears, roof of the mouth, vagina - have a read of our relevant VA threads 'My Bladder etc.' - vaginal atrophy mimics urine repeated infection-type symptoms.  You probably require treatment as DG suggests.  Nowt to lose!

Annie0710

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 04:16:24 PM »

Nairn I'm allergic to kiwi (I know for sure if it's eaten = anaphylaxis)

I use Sylk for intimacy and it's brill, even Ok for oral sex :-)

I just looked this up re: allergy and seems you should be ok too x

https://sylk.co.uk/frequently-asked-questions/

Joaniepat

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 04:26:06 PM »

Regarding laundry liquid, it's best to use an unscented one such as Surcare.

Kate

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 06:50:22 PM »

I always put my underwear through an extra rinse after washing. It's surprising how much washing liquid is left behind after a standard wash. You can still see suds in the rinsing water

Dancinggirl

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 07:07:22 PM »

Unscented panty liners is a good idea - I've used them for years - they absorb perspiration, keeps things fresh and I can change them regularly throughout the day if necessary. DG x

Nairn

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 09:11:10 PM »

Thank you to you all for your really helpful info - it's great to know that I'm not alone in this.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2017, 09:48:54 PM »

Group  :hug: .........

Also, I don't use half the laundry products that is recommended!  We are not dirty people and the manufacturers are out to sell more products ;-)

Maryjane

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 07:16:08 AM »

I just use surcare boil wash M&S pants survive the heat very well.

My VA requires local and HRT plus I have needed laser treatment.

I use YES products 100% natural organic.

It's a never ending “ managed “ condition , that 5 years on I still can't quite believe that this can happen to us , and how we are all so unprepared.

jaycee

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 09:26:43 PM »

I have this terrible itching and sore again after sex, tried the Actigel which is fine immediately after using it, but dries very quickly,
Yesterday bought some vagisil, which seems ok, but would prefer something which stays moist
I looked at Sylk online but seems expensive to buy all the time, anyway looked at the website,i have sent for a free sample.then if ok will ask my Dr for it

Annie0710

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2017, 10:20:49 PM »

I got Sylk prescribed from nurse.  I was tearing during sex every time but with Sylk and daily vagifem I don't anymore x
Pages: [1] 2