Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: New Study on Tamoxifen and breast disease  (Read 864 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
New Study on Tamoxifen and breast disease
« on: November 09, 2017, 07:39:29 PM »

Did anyone listen to Jeremy Vine today ?   He had discussion with Professor Richard Gary who has been part of a Study regarding women with oestrogen sensitive breast disease who had stopped Tamoxifen after the initial 5 year advice.  Some in the study had been diagnosed for a 2nd time within 15 years of stopping the anti-oestrogen drug (I think I heard it correctly).  It is now thought that ladies should have either Tamoxifen or 1 of the other options for at least 10 years post surgery.

During the end of the interview which I plan to listen to again, he did mention that in general there is so little oestrogen in HRT that it shouldn't be discounted as a treatment for women with unbearable meno symptoms, even post surgery.

Do listen.  As someone who suffered severe side-effects from Tamoxifen that it almost killed me, I do wish I'd been part of the Study  ::) and there was no mention of womb cancer from this particular drug.  Which a friend died of  :'(

I found it interesting and for once, Jeremy actually listened and rarely butted in!

Mary G

Re: New Study on Tamoxifen and breast disease
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 07:57:46 PM »

Thanks CLKD, that is interesting.  I believe Bazedoxifene is used in the US for the same purpose as Tamoxifen and seems to be having some success.  Perhaps Duavive (oestrogen and bazedoxifene) would be a good and less risky HRT option for women who have had BC in the past?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New Study on Tamoxifen and breast disease
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 08:10:56 PM »

They were names that I didn't recognise.  Said so quickly  ::) which is why I want to listen again.

I had my Surgery in 1996 (?) and stopped the Tamoxifen due to dreadful side-effects.  Fortunately so far there is no sign of recurrence.  It is obvious too that some cancers are not 'the same' as the initial disease.  Mine was found on palpation.