Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Coming off HRT and the smell  (Read 2421 times)

akd1961

Coming off HRT and the smell
« on: November 09, 2017, 11:15:24 AM »

Hi

I have had to come off HRT just been diagnosed with Breast Cancer, however I have noticed and awful smell coming from down there, its not fishy but awful, anyone else come across this is there anything I can do or take.

Dancinggirl

Re: Coming off HRT and the smell
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 02:52:06 PM »

Quite normal when menopause hits akd1961

This will be an imbalance of the flora in the vagina which is common after menopause. We become more prone to bacterial vaginitis, UTIs and thrush as our vaginal area dries up - it's called urogenital atrophy -  so the best way to help this is:

Vaginal moisturiser used once or twice a day after washing.  Best products are, SYLK or the YES products.

If you are feeling itchy or have a bit of smelly discharge, then I find Multi Gyn Actigel used 2-3 times a day for 2-5 days is great for getting the balance back - it can sting a bit initially after application but is soothing after that. You can also simply use this once a week as part of ‘lady bits' health management. Push this right up inside and around the outer area - wear a panty liner.
You can get all these products online.

I'm afraid bacteria from the bowel can easily get to the vagina - we also don't pee straight as we age, so all this can linger and start to smell. I use toilet wet wipes(unscented) to make sure I'm really clean after opening my bowels and you can also get special feminine wipes to use around our ‘lady bits' to keep them fresh.  I tend to wear ultra thin panty liners these days and change them regularly to keep everything generally fresh and clean.

Some find Coconut oil good to moisturise your nether regions generally - I use this to moisturise around my pubic area and upper inside legs as the skin gets really dry and itchy. 

Use extra lubrication for sex - try various things to see which you like.

Finally - Do ask the doctors if you can have some local oestrogen that can be used on your ‘lady bits' - many ladies with BC can still use this (as it's not absorbed systemically) and it can really help with urogenital atrophy.
Hope your BC treatment is going OK.    DG xxx