Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hello! Help!  (Read 962 times)

Bea66

Hello! Help!
« on: November 08, 2017, 05:12:21 PM »

Hello, I'm new here, but looking for help/advice/support.  I had a hysterectomy about 16 years ago aged 35, and retained one ovary.  I was on and off Hrt (premarin) but had to stop a few years ago as I developed seriously bad migraines.  I thought I'd gone through the menopause untill a few weeks ago when I started getting bad hot flushes again, and serious anxiety/panic.  Drs checked my bloods, and said all ok, except obviously menopausal and suggested I try Evorel patches.  I'm really sensitive to medication, so suggested 25mg but cut in half.  I've had the worse 10 days ever.  Almost hysterical with panic and anxiety, and have decided to stop.  I've been taking evening primrose oil too, and just read a thread here suggesting that may increase anxiety, so I'll stop that too!  Can anyone recommend anything?  I can't do antidepressants either, as I had serotonin poisoning a few years back.  I can take diazepam, but would rather not, though am having to resort to it ATM.  My teeth and stomach ache from the clenching!  Sorry for the long post  :o

Hurdity

Re: Hello! Help!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 05:51:57 PM »

Hi Bea66

:welcomemm: - no need to apologise and that's definitely not a long post!!

Sorry to hear about your symptoms and especially your sensitivity even to the 12.5 mcg Evorel patch. If you have got bad hot flushes then ideally the oestrogen is the only thing to help really  and is advised as the first line of treatment. Usually any symptoms do subside once the body has acclimatised to them. Can you try to ride these out for the first month and then very gradually increase slowly? Can you take some time off work or do something to take your mind off things while your body gets used to it? Phyto-oestrogens like red clover have a weak oestrogenic effect and may help temporarily with very mild symptoms but other than that it's HRT (or certain ADs - for those who cannot take HRT for medical reasons).

Lifestyle measures can also help you cope with menopausal symptoms and generally improve your health - eg body weight (losing excess if needed), diet ( cutting out sugars, bad fats and processed foods), alcohol, exercise, and smoking.

I use Estradot patches - which contain the same type of oestrogen but may be avbsorbed differently - they are tiny to start with though so might be difficult cutting a 25 mcg one (although I use 12.5 mcg strips to add to my 50 mcg Estradot patch and they seem to stay on....).

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

Kathleen

Re: Hello! Help!
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 07:23:23 PM »

Hello Bea66 and welcome to the forum.

I see Hurdity has replied and given you good advice as always but I wanted to welcome you and say that many of us have suffered/are suffering the same symptoms so you are not alone.

Take care and keep posting.

K.