Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Newbie... Elleste Duet... And bloating  (Read 2584 times)

Donna45s

Newbie... Elleste Duet... And bloating
« on: November 06, 2017, 09:22:16 PM »

Hello all, I'm a newbie! Bit of background... I'm 45 and think I'm periM. I had an ectopic years ago and have only 1 tube. My womb is not where it should be - it lies to the left ( that's where I lost my tube and is held in place due to adhesions)... I have had horrendous periods since then. Lately I have noticed my mood dip badly before my period - it's like the lights are on but there was no one home... My partner said it was extremely difficult to ' reach' me when I'm like this...also bad night sweats and headaches just before my period..So few weeks ago things turned upside down. I was on my period, it was a Saturday night and my partner and I were chilling out... And I went 'psycho'. I've never been like this so went to my Gp ... Explained everything and she felt I was periM... I was offered an SSRI but declined ( I'm a MH nurse and while I felt it might help with my mood before my period, I wasn't depressed and felt I needed to take the night sweats, insomnia, lethargy etc so she suggested Elleste duet...  She didn't really explain much but gave me a wide smile and said " you'll feel brilliant'.... Well she was kind of right! Within days the sweats had gone, sleep - I've not slept so brilliant in years...I'm getting really vivid dreams though??... I experienced bad headaches initially but they seem to have settled... BUT I'm experienced bloating like I've never had in my life! It's absolutely awful... I'm worried I'm going to blow up and be fat and frumpy!! My friend who is also on this said she experienced bloating in the first 4 -6 weeks but it then settled and it's mainly due to the rise in hormones within your body but as your body gets used to it it settles.... Any advice?... I don't want to go back to that lost person I was before so will continue with the 3 month trial and see... I don't eat rubbish but have started to look at eating more regularly ( I'm pretty healthy but do find sometimes I don't eat dinner) . I'd really appreciate any feedback.. Tips etc.. Also the weird dreams. Have any of you had this too?... My partner is soooo supportive and has said that my skin looks better and ' I'm back' as I seemed lost for a bit... He has also said he sees me as 'healthy' not fat but jeans I had on last week were telling me different yesterday! Oh I've been on the mess for 2 weeks now.
Thanks in advance
Donna x

Dancinggirl

Re: Newbie... Elleste Duet... And bloating
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 10:09:09 AM »

Hi and welcome
The meno is a roller coaster - we are taught about puberty but no one prepares us for what meno can bring!!!!

Your friend is right, it does take time for the body to adjust and settle on HRT, especially in the peri stage when your own hormones will be fluctuating. There will always be compromises with any HRT.  If you are generally feeling better, then I wouldn't start chopping and changing - give Elleste at least 3-6 months. Just enjoy feeling better and cut down on the calories - so small, highly nutritious meals, try cutting down portions by a third.

Do look under treatments on this site - there are other options to try if this HRT doesnt settle but beware of thinking the grass is greener - you'll read many posts on this site about women having all sorts of problems with the different HRTs - we are all different so will respond differently to these things. 

It is particularly important to look at lifestyle choices at this stage in our lives e.g. diet and exercise.  The weight and body shape does change whether on HRT or not - oh, the joys of getting older!!!!! HRT does tend to plump us up a bit but if you find you have more energy because the HRT is making you feel better, then get out there and do more exercise - I love brisk walking.

It's early days for you with HRT - give it more time.  Keep us posted.  DG x

Donna45s

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 12:01:41 PM »

Thank you so much for your reply DG.
Yep, we are all informed about puberty at school but not this! My partner has been brilliant though and at times he is educating me :-)
Yeah I will give it a bit more time..Feeling better mentally is something I wont take lightly.
I could not eat dinner last night due to being so bloated but portions and choices are pretty healthy. I just need to move more :-) x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 04:02:29 PM »

Hi Donna45s

:welcomemm:

Just to say I agree with Dancinggirl's excellent advice - and especially re exercise when you get to this stage in your life! I have had to eat less and exercise (much) more to keep the same weight - or rather at the moment - limit the weight gain! I have been on HRT for 10 years +. Yes give it time but as Dancinggirl says there are other types to try which may cause less bloating if this doesn't settle. Yes some women find they get dreams on the progestogen part - I thought it was just progesterone that caused this but maybe it's the synthetic ones like you are taking too!

Not a good idea to miss meals - ideally you should keep your blood sugar stable which minimises some of the symptoms due to reduced energy levels and fluctuations in blood sugar which can also occur around peri-menopause, but as long as you are eating enough of the right foods ( low fat protein, fruit, veg, nuts, fish yogurt, whole grains etc) at other times then now and again won't do you any harm. Cutting out sugar and refined carbs is important too. I know what you mean about the jeans - as soon as the "muffin" begins to appear - I cut down my intake - never succumb to buying a larger size is the key to staying slim (ish) post-menopause!

Hurdity x