Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Testosterone, hair loss, and anxiety  (Read 1771 times)

hoping4best

Testosterone, hair loss, and anxiety
« on: November 07, 2017, 03:43:47 PM »

For those on T, what type of other HRT are you taking with your T? Oral? Patch? Has anyone noticed effect on scalp hair?

I just restarted T. A couple years ago, I tried T for about 4 months, and it seemed to help tremendously with libido, mood, and muscle strength. At the same time, I had been experiencing bouts of hair loss, and I had a particularly bad one on the T, so my doc had me stop.

Fast-forward two years to now, my hair shedding and loss cycles have never really gotten better. I'm 16 months into daily minoxidil, and I think it's helped keep my part a bit more intact, but otherwise, near-relentless shedding continues, including my body hair and eyebrows. I am 1 week into trying T again. I do have some libido, but very dulled sexual response, social anxiety, and muscle weakness. I'm 42, and my peers definitely don't yet share these issues, so that's why I'm asking here!

I am in the mid of another worse-than-usual hair shed (diffuse, plus very thin temples), and I am at the point where I wonder if T might *help* my hair, and/or at least be neutral but I'd maybe feel better. But I feel terrified that the T will make my hair loss worse. 

Having crappy hair and dulled orgasms does not help me feel less anxious!  :-\

Anyone have stories, positive or negative, to share about testosterone and hair?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Testosterone, hair loss, and anxiety
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 04:06:04 PM »

Have a  :bighug:

Have I mentioned the hair dresser who makes wigs for people?  Sorbie rings a bell but I would need to check back through my threads  ::)

Anxiety can be eased by appropriate medication.  Without mine I wouldn't be here.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 06:16:15 PM »

Hi hoping4best

Oral oestrogen is not recommended for libido because of the effect on increasing SHBG (just mentioned this on another thread) so should be taken with transdermal oestrogen. I use patch oestrogen together with vaginal progesterone (Utrogestan) on a longish cycle of 6-8 weeks. Never noticed any problems with my hair - but I have thick hair and plenty on my head. It is thinner than it used to be but still pretty full-bodied (it was v luxuriant before menopause) and I'm in my 60's. I also colour it every 3 weeks to get rid of the grey roots and that hasn't harmed it either!  I just use a pea-sized blob of T - the sachet lasts ages - but seems to be enough for libido anyway - or rather, response which is completely restored. Sorry that's probably not much help! The link between T and hair I think is genetic and partly related to its conversion to DHT? I found it pretty confusing that T could both stimulate hair growth and cause it to be lost?  I did look this up a while back but it seemed pretty complex - and a whole new area to study - so I gave up and have now forgotten!

Hurdity x

hoping4best

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 06:24:33 PM »

Yes, the relationship between T and hair is so confusing to me. Hair loss does not run in my family. I always had a ton of hair on my head. Too much. But I've lost at least 60% of what I had before my ovarian removal/failure 5 years ago.

I am definitely not interested in/ready yet for wigs or toppers. I don't need them yet, and have never felt wearing hair would fit my personality. I'd almost rather find a way to feel okay bald. But I'm not there yet. I get pretty anxious thinking about wigs still.

And I've been on medication and in cognitive behavioral therapy for anxiety/depression for most of my life, with great success. I had no idea that sudden-onset early menopause was going to deal me this much of a blow physically and emotionally.  I have never had this much social anxiety this consistently, for years at a time. It's been rough.

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 09:37:17 PM »

I have had hair shedding in the past, quite profoundly. While I have no answers to your questions, I just wanted to say that I really empathise. It's such a tough one to go through. No wonder you feel anxious.

Annie0710

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 11:07:20 PM »

Hair fibres are brill to hide thinning... I can recommend nanogen, only wash out with shampoo

I've been a victim of diffuse thinning and was confused about testosterone too as like mentioned, it can imprive or it can make it worse but I thought nothing ventured nothing gained

I'd say for me it's helped.  My libido has done a runner again though which is annoying but I have more energy than I did, I use oestrogen gel along with my T gel