Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Starting ADs  (Read 10094 times)

Conolly

Re: Starting ADs
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2017, 07:48:09 PM »

Hello CLKD,

Hope you're feeling well! Thank you for the explanation and tips, I will make that list.

Do clinical and organic depression have the same presentation or not?

Sorry to ask so many questions...

Conolly x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2017, 08:15:22 PM »

No problem, if you don't ask you don't get!   For me they present the 'same' although I now recognise the sublet difference.  In that my mood eases if the problem is sorted or put to 1 side but the organic depression remains.

Acceptance is important.  I've had depression for many years in various forms so am quite anyltical  ::)

Roseneath

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2017, 11:24:24 AM »

Biker chick..Just to say I know how living with an other half who isn't sympathetic makes things so much worse. When I had a relly bad bout of insomnia last May he actually told me I should be in a ' loony' bin and I needed to snapout of it for the sake of the family.  For me there is an element of letting it take over. I nearly cancelled my kids party last month because I was grounded with fear I was ill (totally unfounded it turned out). My husband told me to stop being selfish and just get on with it - I was angry but do you know whatit worked. I got up, wrote a list, we had a great party and my kids were so happy. So for me there is an element that it is a mental cycle which grip me. Like at the moment I have had a few nights bad sleep and I spend me day worrying I won't sleep at all tonight. It is like I am inviting these things into my head. I was NEVER like this in my 20s or 30s. It is so great to read of other people similar ages going through the same things.

CLKD

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2017, 01:17:21 PM »

I would change the locks if my husband even hinted the 'pull yourself together' or 'selfish' card ..........  :cuss:.  Do they really think that we CHOOSE to feel this ill .........  :'(

Honey

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2017, 04:13:36 PM »

I know what it is like not having a supportive husband when it comes to illness.  Everything gets unrealistically played down.  He asks how I am and I have a choice of pleasing him by smiling sweetly saying I'm fine or telling the truth and getting the rolling of the eyes.  Yes, CLKD, changing locks have sprung to mind many times but I think I am too long in the tooth now to start again!

On a more positive note after decades of low moods and some anxiety I decided to approach the GP for help. She prescribed Prozac and counselling.  I took 1 tab a day for a month with no side effects but no improvement either. I then was increased to 2 a day and almost immediately discovered a new wonderful enthusiasm for life.  As Yammi mentioned, I went from existing to really living.  I am off them just now, no side effects coming off either.  I wd have no hesitation in asking for Prozac again if I needed them.  By the way, I did not tell hubby I was taking the medication which was very empowering.  I would recommend to anyone to give ADs a try.

Yammy1

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2017, 04:20:46 PM »

I'm two weeks on ads, citalopram and to be honest I hate it. I've suffered with anxiety on and off for years but it's a lot worse since meno. I feel I am getting really down and anxious  with the ads, where as before I would be anxious but not down. It's hard to explain but I feel flat and emotionless. I really am thinking of stopping them and just sticking to my Xanax which I just need now and again. As I said I have struggled for years but never went down the ad route. Not sure wha to do
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 04:48:00 PM by Yammy1 »

Roseneath

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2017, 11:18:28 AM »

Hi Yammy. I am 48 too and in a similar place to you. Some days I am OK but others just a rushing head of fear 24/7. I am going through a bad week of little sleep at the moment; I dread going to bed then try a dozen ways of trying to fall asleep until about 3am when I get a few hours. I don't like taking medication as I feel I would never come off it but I have a pack of sertraline (unopened). I just feel with me the meds would keep adding up with their own problems and mask whatever is going on underneath which I feel are hormone fluctuations. I am sure cortisol / adrenaline is to blame . I am considering going back to the GP again and asking for some hormones tests as I want to make sure I know exactly what chemical is causing this before I take any more meds. My brief experience with HRT was horrible; made everything worse and then some.

CLKD

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2017, 02:29:22 PM »

Give it time!  The brain doesn't get where it is suddenly and needs support, it's up there, out of sight out of mind.  I have never felt flat with ADs, however, when depressed I couldn't move from the bed.

If it is relieving anxiety the stick with it until the New Year?  or your body/brain won't know if it's flying a bike or riding a kite. 

Blood tests for hormone levels are reliably un-reliable.

Yammy1

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2017, 06:02:15 PM »

Phoned doc today and she has said to up ads to 10mgs for a few weeks and see how I get on. I took this dose this morning and am going to stick them out for another while, I figure I've done the hard part the past two weeks, so hopefully will feel he benefits sooner rather than later

CLKD

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2017, 06:58:28 PM »

Yep.  Little steps.  Thing is, we don't get where we are suddenly ......... etc. etc. etc.  ;)

Honey - well done!  Thanks for the info.  :thankyou:

Yammy1

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2017, 01:40:36 PM »

Doc upped citalopram to 10mg yesterday and bam, anxiety has me floored today. Just wondering is this a normal reaction and how soon should I expect it to ease. Had to take Xanax earlier to take the edge off.

Samade

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2017, 03:11:49 PM »

It is possible when you increase the dose but should only last a few days. The first month is hard no question about it but it does get better. Are you splitting it? ie 5mg morning and 5mg at night?

Yammy1

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2017, 03:44:49 PM »

Thank you Samade, Im taking 10mg in the morning On docs instructions. I will give it a few days and see. If still suffering I'll try splitting it, although it's an extremely small tablet and quite hard to halve. The half Xanax has really helped so if I need to I will continue for a few days until initial symptoms ease.
Pages: 1 2 [3]