Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Menopause and work  (Read 2008 times)

Bracken willowshimmer

Menopause and work
« on: November 02, 2017, 07:37:12 PM »

Hi everyone,

I'm not really sure where I am with the menopause, I have a mirena coil fitted so no periods and am also on hrt patches.  During my the perimenopause I had a really bad time with terrible anxiety and depression.

Things have been really good since the coil and hrt And i have been living  a normal and happy life.

However, the one thing I can't seem to handle is work.  It's only been since meno started but I can't seem to settle into a job.  I normally change jobs every couple of years because I can't seem to find a job I like.

I have recently changed jobs and this has brought back some horrible anxiety again.  I dread the days I'm working and I only work part time. When I arrive at work I feel very panicky.  I've got to work financially so giving up isn't an option.

Just wondered does anyone else suffer like this, and if so how do you deal with it?  Any tips with dealing with anxiety in the workplace would be appreciated.

Xx

Tinkerbellj

Re: Menopause and work
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 08:09:51 PM »

Not really much help but I am exactly the same...absolutely no confidence and completely paranoid as well. Would love to hear any ideas or tips...just wanted to say u r not alone xx xx

Annie0710

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 08:14:10 PM »

I'm the same.  I left my bookkeeping job I loved because peri hit and I lost all confidence.  I've averaged 1.5-3 years in jobs since and feel very vulnerable at work.  I just get my head down and don't draw attention to me.  I'm due to start another part time job anyday now to make up a 40 hour week.  I just hope to god I cope with the new one

Binbon2

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 07:51:03 PM »

Hi

I don't really have any ideas on how to help with the anxiety. I just wanted to say that you are not alone! When perimenopause hit me, the hot flushes resulted in insomnia. I also suffered anxiety, but didn't want to admit it to myself for a while. My job was stressful, and I found myself no longer able to cope with the stress of it despite doing it for over 10 years. I lost my job at the end of last year as the insomnia didn't go despite using HRT. This year I started a new job, working from home as a virtual PA. It is a job I am overqualified for, but one that I can cope with as it isn't too stressful, and my boss is very understanding regarding my anxiety. I still don't think I could cope with a regular 9-5 job. I do feel much better in myself, but the anxiety is still lurking in the background and very easily triggered!

I hope things get easier for you as you get more into the routine of the new job. Would you be able to discuss your anxiety with anyone at work?

Bracken willowshimmer

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 09:40:51 PM »

Thanks ladies for your replies.  It is good to read I'm not alone.

Been to work today, would like to say anxiety is subsiding a bit but it's still there. It's a horrible feeling, feel like I could just run out of the building and go home.

Annie0710 have you started your new job yet?  How is it going?

Binbon I don't think I can discuss it with anyone at work, they are all strong characters and I don't think they would understand.

Thanks again ladies it was so nice to hear from you all xx

Annie0710

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 09:50:05 PM »

No not yet, it's NHS and I can't believe how slow the process is.  It's an Admin role and they've asked me to travel to the Occ Health for a blood test! Plus now I have to travel to go to an Induction day but they've selected a day I work for my other employer x

Dawnie

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 09:30:33 AM »

Hi

I know exactly how you feel.
I have a stressful job and a long commute.
My confidence has ebbed for sometime now and I feel I don't work as quick as I used to.
When I get to the point of feeling like I want to run out of the building and disappear somewhere nice I take a quick break, get a drink and take a few deep breaths. I find taking Kalms pastilles help as well.

I hope you feel more positive soon.