Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 1689 times)

kathryn66

Advice please
« on: November 01, 2017, 01:08:44 PM »

Hi there
I am looking for some advice as to which HRT I should be taking.
Basically I am 51 yrs old and I was quite happily taking Femoston 2/10 and then 1/10 for around 5 years. I happened to mention to my GP that I was getting my withdrawal bleed towards the end of the 1st week of the progesterone cycle rather than after. She then insisted I had an ultrasound (which was fine) and referred me to a gynaecologist, who just said I had been on the sequi for long enough and to start taking Femoston conti. I have been taking the 1/5 for around 8 months and have finally realised that all the ailments I have been feeling recently (tension headaches, aching joints, low mood etc) could be because this HRT is not as effective for me. I am going to go back to the GP but there is no-one at my surgery who is particularly clued up on HRT,  so I would like some advice from the knowledgeable ladies on here as to what to suggest to the doctor that I try instead.

Dancinggirl

Re: Advice please
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 03:36:19 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM

Your story is not unusual.  It is sometimes a good idea to switch to a conti HRT as you go deeper into menopause - the problem is that, with conti HRTs, you are using progesterone all the time and this can bring more headaches and low mood etc.
Also, it takes roughly 2 years after your final period for the oestrogen levels to bottom out and many women find they do need a higher dose after a time to keep meno symptoms under control.  However, if your flushes are mostly under control then the dose you are on may be fine but what you are getting are more side effects from using progesterone all the time. Many women choose to stick with a sequi HRT for this reason.  You are still young, so will benefit from at least 5 more years of HRT - this will protect your heart and bones for the long term. If you don't mind going back to having monthly periods and you felt good on the Femoston 1/10 or 2/10, then I would ask to go back on that.   There are other alternatives but if it suited you before then it will suit you again.  DG x

kathryn66

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 05:26:51 PM »

Thank you kindly for your reply, so is it OK to take the sequi femoston even though I was taken off because of the unusual bleed cycle? x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 05:35:28 PM »

It is quite common for a bleed to arrive a bit early on a sequential HRT. It should be fine to go back to the sequi Femoston if it suits you better. There are women in their 60s,so very post meno, who are still using a sequi HRT regime. DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 05:54:16 PM »

Hi kathryn66

:welcomemm: from me too.

I am one of those whom Dancinggirl is referring - in mid 60's and still taking HRT on a (long) cycle and have a withdrawal bleed every 6-8 weeks - with separate oestrogen patches and progesterone. I agree - you are still young and many women aren't even peri-menopausal at this age so 1/10 or even 2/10 will be fine depending on how you feel.

Hurdity x

kathryn66

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 06:21:00 PM »

Thank you ladies  x