Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: is it or isn't it ???????  (Read 3350 times)

discokaren

is it or isn't it ???????
« on: October 31, 2017, 02:37:37 PM »

Does anyone else feel so rubbish as in every thing feels rubbish, constipation, bloating, stomach pain, feeling sick, joint pains, shaking, dizziness, anxiety, panic attacks and periods that come if and when they want, after being so regular[every 28 days with out fail]  are just a few. Drs say its not menopause because my bloods came back fine and i dont have hot sweats. But i have read that a lot of woman dont have the hot flushes.....Am i going mad, some days its so bad i can bearly leave the house ???

Mini1

Re: is it or isn't it ???????
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 02:46:03 PM »

I'm not an expert, but I have those symptoms too and I think it's menopause. X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 03:33:56 PM »

Your GP is way behind ........... which is why my Gynae won't do blood tests and treats on symptoms.

As oestrogen levels drop off so the body may become dry: deep in the nostrils, in the ears, skin, vagina as well as muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  Some ladies find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary useful.

I have never had hot flushes as such.  I do have aches and pains and my GP has given me treatment for vaginal atrophy (we have threads about that here).

Read round. Make notes.

discokaren

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 05:10:54 PM »

Thank you everyone xx

jaycee

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 05:21:56 PM »

I would try a different Dr, even in the same practice, they can vary in their ideas,
Hope you get it sorted ,

Snoooze

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 05:51:26 PM »

I have all your symptoms and Dr confirmed I'm peri even though she did blood tests but they didn't show anything and she said they don't go by blood tests now but by symptoms.

Bloating is becoming a main symptom for me. I've just had it the last week or so but it's starting to go again now. Obviously hormone driven.

I do get hot but not sure I've experienced a hot flush as such yet but Dr did ask if I get a sweaty chest in the night to which I could answer yes.

How old are you? I started with peri symptoms about age 46 (peri can last upto 10 years!).

Annie0710

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 06:04:25 PM »

MY ovaries went wrong at an early age and I've never had hot flushes.  I get night sweats if my oestrogen goes low x

discokaren

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 07:32:08 AM »

Hi everyone, I had internal ultrasound they found a cyst on my ovarie, and a blood test for ovarian cance (it was clear)I Had a CT scan from the ribs down nothing was found, now the Dr wants me to have a camera down the throat which terrifies me. My thyroid was checked too. All I've been offered is anti depressants I'm 46 now but when I think back some of the symptoms have been on and off for about 4 years. All I take is red clover and menopace. Any tips welcome

dangermouse

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 10:04:59 PM »

It's perimenopause rather than menopause so FSH blood test will be normal. It can be harder to treat than menopause for some as hormones are more volatile, hence all the over stimulation you're having.

My GP surgery only treats perimenopause with oral contraceptives to control the cycle to calm the hormones. Others here have been prescribed HRT which seems to work better when you're nearer to menopause (peri can last for many years).
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 11:38:03 PM »

Hi discokaren yes it seems to be what a lot of ladies are going through,not nice at all and quite frightening. Have to for see myself to work so times as things get so bad. Hope you are having a better day you are not alone take care xxxx catkins

discokaren

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 08:32:22 AM »

It's sort of nice to no iam not going mad, but my god some days are really bad xx

Peri-wrecked

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 10:10:54 AM »

Hi DiscoKaren, you are not alone. I too have all your symptoms.... I am only 35 though but I think I had my first synptoms age 32 while on birth control.... I didnt know about perimenopausr so I cane ifc birth control at 33 which is when all my panic attacks, hot sweats, flu liek symptoms every 2 weeks, breat tenderness and in most recent months severe joint pain. I too was told it was just anxiety but I knew there was a hormone element to it. I am currently trying the DARE program to see if I can manage my anxiety better. Honestly, this is a terrible time. I have had hormone tests which showed nothing only an fsh if 6.6 and high estrogen and low progesterone. That test was carried out in February this year so I havent had one since. But I do get hot sweats at night. I wake with a heat rash across my chest and stomach.  Ive actually woken with a heat rash for quite a few years but never took much notice.  I wasnt offered anti-depressants but was offered anxiety medication at the startof this. I tried the medication but I knew that it wasnt for mw.although I'm not against trying it again.
I have been offered birth control which I have tried but I still havent found the right one. This sadly is an area that women fail to get the right care. It is very difficult. I hope you get appropriate help soon. Fingers crossed.

Roseneath

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 09:16:53 PM »

Yes its Perimenopause. I have had the same symptoms; started at about 45ish and have had them on and off for 3 years; joint aches, tingling once, anxiety worst, sleeplessness, brain fog. periods regular but sometimes long or short apart and last for a bit longer. Welcome to this lovely club!

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2017, 11:27:36 AM »

Hi everyone, I had internal ultrasound they found a cyst on my ovarie, and a blood test for ovarian cance (it was clear)I Had a CT scan from the ribs down nothing was found, now the Dr wants me to have a camera down the throat which terrifies me. My thyroid was checked too. All I've been offered is anti depressants I'm 46 now but when I think back some of the symptoms have been on and off for about 4 years. All I take is red clover and menopace. Any tips welcome

Does anyone else feel so rubbish as in every thing feels rubbish, constipation, bloating, stomach pain, feeling sick, joint pains, shaking, dizziness, anxiety, panic attacks and periods that come if and when they want, after being so regular[every 28 days with out fail]  are just a few. Drs say its not menopause because my bloods came back fine and i dont have hot sweats. But i have read that a lot of woman dont have the hot flushes.....Am i going mad, some days its so bad i can bearly leave the house ???

The first thing is that peri-menopause is now diagnosed on the basis of age, symptoms and cycle length - so if you are 45 and over, your cycle has become very irregular ( and consistently varies by eg about a week), and you are experiencing typical menopausal symptoms - then you are peri-menopausal.

Under 45 (sometimes) and especially under 40 (definitely), blood tests should be carried out because women heading for an early menopause should be advised to take HRT whatever their thoughts on this option - to help protect heart and bones amongst other health issues. Also blood tests may be necessary for women who don't have an obvious cycle eg have had hysterectomy or Mirena coil.

To clarify about FSH - FSH begins to vary and increase well before menopause - this is partly what defines peri-menopause (in addition to the cycle changes). In fact FSH can even start to vary before peri-menopause ie in the Late Reproductive Stage when periods often become closer together but ovulation is still happening every month. In any case FSH leves vary so much during the cycle that as above - the cycle changes, age and symptoms should be a better indication of peri-menopause. There is info on this website (top tabs - Menopause) about diagnosis.

As has been said not all women experience flushes and sweats - not sure of the percentage but probably the majority? However women who are taking certain medication - such as some anti-depressants (like CLKD), blood pressure medication etc may well not experience flushes since these drugs can also be prescribed for hot flushes for those who cannot take HRT - so that is another reason some women may not get them.

If you are not taking any such medication which would mask the fact that you might be experiencing hot flushes, and you aren't experiencing them, then despite cycle changes - it's good your doc is making sure there is nothing else wrong with you which could account for your symptoms as sometimes other things start to go awry around menopause.

If your cycle is that irregular and you are hardly getting any periods then in the absence of anything else wrong - yes you are peri-menopausal! How often are your periods now? If they are few and far between then at your age HRT is advisable - you could start at a low dose to see if it helps and certainly not anti-depressants!!! This is against current protocols for menopause - although if your doc is denying this then hopefully you can pursue this further - ie that you think you are peri-menopausal!

I'm not sure what effect the ovarian cyst would have on your cycle and symptoms? Has any treatment been suggested?

Bit of a ramble but hope it's helpful anyway and if I haven't said so already  :welcomemm: !!

Hurdity x