Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Take a break from ESTROGEN?  (Read 895 times)

Duffy

Take a break from ESTROGEN?
« on: November 01, 2017, 07:04:37 PM »

Used HRT  15 years now. Initially on cyclical patch 24 seven and Prometrium 10 days a month for a bleed. Got changed to patch 24 seven, 200 mg Prometrium after 90 days for 14 days. First 90 days were completed with only a little spotting after Prometrium no real bleed. Second 90 day time frame was cut short by spotting and then a little more than spotting beginning on day 47. Used Prometrium for 14 days to get a bleed after 4 DAYS of this spotting and only " period' bled ' for a day and a half. STARTED MY SECOND ATTEMPT AT 90 DAYS ON 9-18-2017 but began spotting then minor blood 18 days in.  Took prometrium again fourteen days and began real period on day 11 of this prometrium cycle.  Like a real period ...  and I expect it to stop in a day it two . Is this my body trying to adjust to new 90 day cycle?   It seems so to me but naturally worrisome.  I stopped my estrogen patch 3 days ago, will re apply today _ hoping reduction in estrogen would level things out a bit. Am 69 yrs old

Dancinggirl

Re: Take a break from ESTROGEN?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 08:14:21 PM »

Long cycles can result in erratic bleeding - especially with this type of progesterone, as it isn't as powerful as other synthetic progesterones. I believe this because the womb lining builds up too much and then starts to shed spontaneously.
Maybe try a shorter cycle - so 6 weeks if oestegn only and then add progesterone for 14 days. DG x

Duffy

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 10:04:57 PM »

''Tks Dancing girl.  This is sorta the conclusion I was drawing but the fear is over riding common sense.  One would think the doc would warn of the possibility of breakthrough bleed.  I have gained a fair amount of lbs over last five months to an already hefty frame- no doubt that has increased my estrogen derived from my .05 vivelle dot patch making the prolonged time between the prometrium a bit dicey for the uterine lining.    I don't think Prometrium is synthetic-  it is micronized natural progesterone prepared in peanut oil capsule. 

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 09:03:37 AM »

Yes, Duffy, Prometrium is the most natural form or progesterone but it isn't as stable or effective as the synthetic progesterones - especially when used orally. However, there are supposed to be fewer cancer risks with micronised progesterone - though the risks before 60 for any HRT is very, very small.
We can't win really.
I eat small(highly nutritious) amounts often(so every 3-4 hours) and do lots of brisk walking - I've managed to get my weight stable doing this.  DG x