Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Another newbie here  (Read 909 times)

mabel64

Another newbie here
« on: October 31, 2017, 09:16:03 AM »

Hi everyone, so glad to have found this forum, I have been lurking for a while so thought it was time to say hello! A bit about me, Im 53 and am struggling a lot with perimenopause symptoms. These include depression, constant tearfulness and lethargy, joint and muscle aches and just totally feeling really c**p! Spaced out and foggy head too.

My husband and I seperated 6 years ago (his choice) have had one relationship since then with a man who unfortunately was emotionally abusive so feel like Im going through this unsupported as my friends who have been through the menopause dont seem to have had many of the same problems.

Sometimes its hard to connect the dots, when I started to get pain in my arms, elbows, shoulders etc I was doing lots of exercise classes involving weights so put it down to that, however Istopped going but the aches stayed so now I think it was just a coincidence that I started getting syptoms at the same time.

Want to trial hrt as I really cant go on feeling like this, every day seems like a chore and although I know I wouldnt act on it because of my kids and grandson I just feel like it would be easier not to be here. However my bp is high and gp says they need to get it under control before going ahead with any hrt.

I have been treated for depression for many years, taking citalopram but tbh it doesnt seem to be working at all. Maybe over the years my body has just got used to it and it's no longer effective?

Anyway, sorry for the long introduction. I look forward to getting to know you all xx

dazned

Re: Another newbie here
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 12:29:02 PM »

:welcomemm:

You've had a lot going on in your life recently. How is your exercise ,diet etc ? Maybe your body has become resistant to your present AD,it does happen . Perhaps you can review this with your gp ,escitlopram (sp) sister drug has good outcomes. Get your BP sorted at same time then trial some HRT regimes. Good luck ,keep us updated. :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 01:00:07 PM »

I have had 5 different ADs since 1988, they poop out in that the brain gets used to them  ::).  What dose are you taking, if my brain feels low for 3 mornings in a row I up the amount I take in order to support an organ that often gets forgotten!

Maybe get your Practice Nurse to do an over-all blood pressure, blood checks, etc..  I went recently as I was very tired so have been given VitD tablets, feeling better after 3 weeks.

Browse round.  Make notes. 

As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry: nostrils, deep in the ears, skin, vagina ...... as well as muscles may become lax = aches and pains. 

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 08:32:22 AM »

Hi mabel64

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about your symptoms.

Re HRT - do you know if you've had high blood pressure a long time and any idea as to the cause? I presume you've had a home monitor to rule out the ubiquitous "White Coat Syndrome"?** If you're doing lots of exercise then that's great. There are plenty of ways to try to reduce it naturally which I am sure you are aware of - as well as exercise, reducing body weight, salt, alcohol, and stopping smoking (any of these if necessary!).

here is what it says about HBP and HRT on this website:

Hypertension
Blood pressure should be measured and, if high, should be controlled prior to starting HRT. Blood pressure measurement should be repeated 3 months after starting HRT and is then usually checked at annual review. There is a very small risk of conjugated equine estrogens causing a rise in blood pressure which resolves on cessation of treatment. In the presence of controlled hypertension, HRT is unlikely to worsen control; some recommend using transdermal (patch or gel) HRT.
Sage should be used with caution if hypertensive and St.John's Wort should be used with caution if taking antihypertensive therapy.

What are your periods doing - are they very irregular now? HRT is the best treatment for your symptoms that are hormonal (rather than part of your long-standing depression) so hopefully you will be able to give it a go soon. As you can see transdermal would be the best route in your position.

Hurdity x

**PS when checking through my post before posting I saw that I had typed this as White Cat Syndrome!!!

mabel64

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 09:36:38 AM »

Thank you all for your replies. So good to have people who understand how debilitating this can all be. Dietwise Im trying to eat more healthily ie cutting back on sugar and processed food. I used to do a lot of exercise but since Ive started with the muscle and joint pain I cant do what I used to...I used to walk 12 miles and feel fine but there is no way I could now.

Im a non smoker but probably drink a little bit more than I should although I wouldnt say excessively...it just helps me to escape my feelings a bit.

Anyway, bit of an update, went back to gp and he doesnt seem to think my home bp readings were a reason to exclude hrt so I have now got femseven sequi patches to trial, really hoping I notice an improvement on  them and that I dont have too many issueswith them coming off as this seems to be a bit of a downside to them reading around the forum?

I know we are all so different but any idea how long it may take before I start feeling some improvement?

Thanks again for the welcome :thankyou: :thankyou:

mabel64

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 09:43:56 AM »

Sorry Hurdity, I didnt answer your question about my periods, Ive always been hopeless at keeping track but yes they are now becoming lighter and I am missing some altogether or just getting spotting.

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 06:25:23 PM »

Many of us have found that patches work pretty quickly to banish flushes and sweats but some find that the emotional symptoms take a while longer while your hormones are still fluctuating - but hopefully the HRT will improve things. No regime is perfect but the idea is to help you ride out some of the worst symptoms..... maybe cut back a bit on the alcohol if you feel it is near to or exceeding the recommended limits? Drinking every day can contribute to lethargy and depression (depends how much of course!)  - despite the initial feelings of relaxation. Hopefully if the HRT works for you, you may feel more like exercising - but in the meantime can you stand more, or do some gentle exercising?  Have a look at the Active 10 app or that regime - just 10 mins a day is beneficial - doesn't have to be 12 miles ( that's a lot!!!).

Hope you see an improvement soon and let us know how you get on :)

Hurdity x