Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: 10 days on HRT  (Read 2044 times)

Mini1

10 days on HRT
« on: October 29, 2017, 10:59:19 AM »

I saw my GP on Friday as I was feeling so ill still and needed some anti nausea tablets.  He asked if I was seeing any difference with the HRT and I said "no".  The hot flushes, day and night, are just as bad as they were.  And I still feel very ill.  He was surprised as he said there is usually some signs of getting better in the first week.  I am on Kliovance.  What are your thoughts? I am 53 and its 3 years since my last period.

Dancinggirl

Re: 10 days on HRT
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 11:55:27 AM »

There are often signs of flushes reducing after about 2 weeks on any HRT. If you have been in post meno for 3 years, then it may take longer for the oestrogen levels to build adn fro you to start to feel the benefits.  Also being on a conti HRT, the progesterone can make one feel unwell and can sometimes cancel out the oestrogen benefits at first. We always suggest trying a sequential HRT first to see if the progesterone suits and then switching to conti later. A Sequi HRT does mean you get a monthly bleed but this can be better than using progesterone every day.
Do eat small amount often to ease the nausea.  I assume the GP has ruled out thyroid problems? Dg x

Mini1

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 12:15:57 PM »

Hi yes I have had my thyroid tested and it's fine.

I asked my GP about a sequential HRT and he said no.

Thanks for your help xx

Marie62

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 02:07:53 PM »

Took just over 3 weeks for the flushes to go, I was on Elleste Duet Conti which has the same ingredients as Kliovance just a higher dose so hang in there  :)

Mini1

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 02:24:23 PM »

Thanks Marie.
I'm wondering if I need a higher dose.
Do you feel well on HRT?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 02:35:15 PM »

I do wish GPs wouldn't be so pedantic - of course it's sensible to start with sequi HRT - taking progesterone everyday can be a problem for many women - but not all.
It's good to start on a lower dose HRT and then slowly build after 3 months if symptoms are not reduced.  It may take a bit longer for the benefits to be felt on a lower dose but sometimes a bigger dose initially can bring more side effects - it's best to be on the lowest dose possible for the longer term. If your oestrogen levels are really low on the outset, then it will take longer for the body to adjust and welcome the hormones- however, the gradual approach is the kinder way. DG x

Mini1

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 02:55:11 PM »

Thanks DG
That makes sense x

Marie62

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 04:00:07 PM »

Mini1
Unfortunately Elleste and Kliovance didn't suit me, felt great for about 3 months then was hit with the most awful anxiety and depression, have no idea if it was the hrt or my own hormones that caused it, it seemed to come in 3 month cycles and last 3 weeks. I've been on Angeliq for just over 3 months and apart from some morning anxiety and the odd low day I feel more or less like my old self and my skin has never been so soft!!
As we know every woman reacts differently to hrt, please don't think you'll end up anxious and depressed on Kilovance as I know other ladies on it and they are fine,it just wasn't for me.
I'd give it another few weeks and if the flushes are still bad you could maybe ask to try a higher dose. I was period free for over 3 years before I took hrt so that's probably why it took a good 3 weeks for the flushes to go, maybe the hormones take that long to reach the right level?
Good luck and hope you get some relief soon :)

Mini1

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 05:31:21 PM »

Thanks Marie.
I just want to feel well again x

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 05:32:06 PM »

If tablet HRT is making you feel nauseous then transdermal HRT is recommended. https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/route.php It is absurd to have to take anti-nausea medication for a medication that might be responsible for the nausea in the first place. It's a bit like docs handing out ADs for women on conti HRTs who are getting anxiety/pms symptoms from the progestogens in the HRT! If the nausea has another cause it would still be better to take your HRT transdermally to minimise further nausea as this can be aggravated, so I understand. If you do change to transdermal then better to try cyclical as Dancinggirl suggests - at least in the first instance.

Hurdity x