Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Nausea and menopause  (Read 4022 times)

Mini1

Nausea and menopause
« on: October 27, 2017, 04:28:46 PM »

Hello again

I have returned to my GP today as the nausea has been horrendous and I haven't been able to eat for days. He has given me some anti sickness tablets for a week. I have managed to eat today.

I've done lots of reading on the forum and there are lots of people who have suffered with nausea. My question is.....did the nausea go once you were taking HRT? I am on my first week on HRT. The nausea isn't a side effect of the HRT.

Thanks xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Nausea and menopause
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 04:35:48 PM »

How is your diet over-all?

When I suffered severe PMT (1990s) my worst symptom was sudden onset of nausea to the point that I had to look for a waste bin/bucket/drain 'in case' though I was never actually sick.  I was advised by NAPS that it was probably due to a sudden drop of blood sugar when the body became hungry due to hormone upheaval - it was always 10-14 days B4 each period.  I was told to eat every 3 hours, 24/7 - even in the night.  Not to eat more but to spread my meals through-out the day.

To this day I carry emergency food: dried fruits and nuts, bananas, ginger biscuits : to stop that dip.  As a recovering anorexic I cannot allow my body to become hungry so I try to eat B4 it feels it needs an energy boost.

Dry toast.  Ginger biscuits.  Ginger tea or chopped small to chew.  Dried fruits.  Nuts.  Boiled rice, cooled.  Pancakes are a good standby, the mix can be kept in the fridge for a couple of days and used immediately.  A hot cup of Bovril with toast.  The idea being is to keep the stomach working to avoid that lurch.

Dextrose tablets can also help, advised by the Ramblers Group and I carry them everywhere.  When my blood sugar is low and I chew one, they fizz  ::).  Keeping hydrated is important too.

Mini1

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 04:37:37 PM »

My diet was very good till this nausea struck. Now I don't feel like eating; don't feel hungry; nothing tastes right.

I don't get a “lurch”. I just feel sick all the time . Xx
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 04:39:10 PM by Mini1 »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 07:08:56 PM »

Nothing tastes 'right' from about 3.30 p.m., every day  :-\

Have you had blood tests? Sometimes people low in zinc can have a 'different' taste which means that they don't eat properly over a while then the body begins to feel sick so we don't eat .......... bugga .........

How often do you need to take the medication?  I have in the past used sea-sickness medication but it made me sleepy  ::)

Mini1

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 06:42:23 AM »

GP told me to take tablets 3 times a day and , yes, they made me sleepy.

dangermouse

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 11:02:54 AM »

My nausea was severe and antinausea tablets made me worse as they stimulate the brain more. I had over stimulation from high oestrogen which causes migraine dizzy nausea and stomach churning nausea.

Initially I went on the combined pill to control the oestrogen and felt sicker for a week and then it all stopped. I'd lost 2 stone in 2 months as could only keep down milk and appetite cane back and put it all back on and some!

Now I'm not on the pill and it never came back as bad but get moments around ovulation and if I've taken too much progesterone cream or supplements that push more oestrogen out into the bloodstream the nausea and dizziness are extreme.

It really depends on your cause and if the antinausea drugs help then that's good as you have something.

Mini1

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 11:44:51 AM »

Thanks dangermouse.

I am 3 year post menopause and in the last few weeks the nausea has hit me dreadfully. It's something to go with hormones but not sure what! I suffered terribly with sickness in pregnancy so I know my body doesn't take well to fluctuating hormones. Just hoping the HRT sorts it. xx

Meg

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 12:56:55 AM »

Dear Mini

I am so sorry that you too are suffering with the nausea.  It is just like the morning sickness experienced in pregnancy and it is not talked about enough though, as you have found, there are plenty of women can testify on here that it is a dreadful symptom of meno.  I have had to get prochlorperazine 5mg tablets off the GP.  They are reasonably helpful when this symptom hits.  It can be so difficult.  My GP said to me she had never heard of it which left me feeling very alone. The tablets can make you feel tired so you have to be wary of this and I try to keep going without if possible.  Not enough is done for women in this situation.  At least with pregnancy you have something to look forward to but that too is extremely distressing. CLKD has given sound advice as usual.  I hope that someone else may be along to post with input.

Meg

Mini1

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 01:40:35 PM »

Hi Sparkle

Yes I supppse you are right. I'm just hoping the HRT starts working soon x

Meg

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 01:32:31 AM »

Good luck with your trial of HRT Mini.In my own mind I feel that the nausea is the result of the way that my ovaries are behaving since my periods stopped.  Not enough is known, sadly, even today.  I wonder if men had this symptom would any more progress have been made.

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 05:33:54 PM »

Hi Mini1

I replied on your other thread - but I was assuming that your nausea was a side effect of the HRT. Even if it isn't I suggested there that transdermal HRT would be preferable in case your nausea is being aggravated by the tablets?

Hurdity x

Mini1

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 06:22:08 PM »

Thanks Hurdity.

The nausea started about 5 weeks before I started HRT so I don't think the HRT is making it worse. I'm slowly beginning to eat again so fingers crossed the HRT is beginning to work.