Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Would you take in an NHS convalescent for £50 a night?  (Read 5958 times)

Pennyfarthing

Would you take in an NHS convalescent for £50 a night?
« on: October 26, 2017, 12:34:16 PM »

I certainly wouldn't!! its all over the news today that It's being considered in Essex.

What a bonkers idea and I can't imagine anybody signing up for it.  It wouldn't just be providing a bed and 3 (microwaved) meals a day would it?  You might have to deal with people vomiting as the anaesthetics leave their bodies, with confused people "wandering", you might have people experiencing problems with their dressings, you might have bed accidents and so on. 

Why the heck they closed down all the convalescent homes years ago is beyond me. They served such a valuable purpose. There were loads around here and they've all been turned into posh hotels.

Tinkerbell

Re: Would you take in an NHS convalescent for £50 a night?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 01:05:22 PM »

Certainly not for me!!
What about the safeguarding issue from both sides too!
I have to accompany my 6ft 16 year old son to a  hobby group he has joined because of their safeguarding rules as it is mainly adults who attend.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 01:57:34 PM »

;D. - anyone as long as it ain't my Mum ?  ::) or B in L ....... or ........

It's been dropped as an idea.  The care service is unable to protect their residents now so in a 'home' situation all kinds of exploitation could take place.  When Grandad had intensive surgery he was shipped to a Convalescent Home for 6 weeks, where he was rehabilitated.  That idea was shelved when Care in the Community was instigated - it was obvious that the idea wouldn't work.   :-\

Our Sports Group does not act as a baby-sitting service so a parent or guardian has to attend until the young person reaches 18.  We find that most eventually join in  ;D

Tinkerbell

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 02:43:04 PM »

I have to attend an astronomy club
 :o
It's freezing outside on a winters night...I need to invest in some thermals  ;D

jaycee

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 02:51:50 PM »

Nothing this Government comes up with surprises me, i heard this on the news this morning, bonkers idea ::)

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 03:49:10 PM »

They could have waited until 1 April?

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 05:52:15 PM »

PF that's exactly what OH and I said today, what happened to convalescent homes?!!  Something else that worked but got swept away at some point.  And now look at the result ... bed blocking! 

I truly believe the world's gone mad.  :D

My hubby and I say the same every time we hear about these haré brained schemes! 😂😂

It's a bit worrying as many of us will be the next generation coming up who may need hospital care, convalescent homes etc.  I plan to be a cantankerous old biddy who will insist on remaining in my hospital bed until I am full ready to go home. There was a Portuguese man in our area who refused to leave his hospital bed and it took them 2 years to get him out. 

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 06:41:27 PM »

Human Rights Laws .........

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 11:41:23 AM »

If there isn't anywhere for those already in recovery to go: i.e. Convalescent Homes :  :-\.  What did we say B4 'catch 22'?

I can't cope with Mum when she's well  :'(

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2017, 10:29:56 AM »

:o as I said, the world's gone mad!  How can anyone be in a hospital bed for two years??!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-38680031