Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Finally, a dr who listened to me  (Read 1183 times)

missyb

Finally, a dr who listened to me
« on: November 23, 2017, 10:08:31 AM »

Hey ladies I haven't been here for a while but on Monday I finally saw a lovely doctor who listened to me and didn't think I was mad  :)

Anyway she sent me for a blood test to test everything inc liver, kidney and thyroid.  I was booked in for a smear on Tuesday so she asked them to do extra swabs and stuff to rule out infection but she said as the change in my periods had happened for at least 18 months she thought it unlikely anything would show there. 

Anyway bloods came back as all normal apart form Fsh which she said was borderline and she wants it repeated in 4 ish weeks, it was 29.8.  I've no idea what it really means, the blood test was done on about day 17 in my cycle.  Should I be having my next blood test at the beg of my cycle? 

Thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Finally, a dr who listened to me
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 02:41:50 PM »

Hang onto the GP! all we will all be round ;-)

Maybe ring to see when to have the bloods taken?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 04:48:02 PM »

Missy
If you are still getting regular periods then I'd have the blood test at the same time in your cycle as the last test.
The FSH reading is a little high so might indicate you are in early peri menopause. In early peri meno the hormones will fluctuate so it's good she is going  to repeat blood tests so there is a better picture if what is going on.
Hopefully the option of a low dose HRT will be discussed. Print off options from this site to help you decide which one to try, as and when you and your GP feel you want to give HRT a go.
There is no doubt that the peri stage can be challenging - the ups and downs are tough but HRT can sometimes help to balance things - but not always - not everyone gets on with HRT
If you are getting urogenital problems, then I'd start using some vaginal moisturiser eg SYLK or the YES products, on a daily basis and if you get itchiness or some strange discharge then Multi Gyn Actigel can really help if used for a few days to rebalance the vaginal flora. All these products are best bought online - not always available in chemists I'm afraid.
Good luck and keep us posted. DG x ???

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 06:15:54 PM »

Hi missyb

It's great that you are being listened to and checked over for other conditions!

Not sure how old you are but if you are over 45, your periods are irregular and you are getting menopausal symptoms then according to the NICE Guidelines you don't need a blood test at all for menopause itself - but If you are under 40 and think you are peri-menopausal (due to cycle changes and symptoms) then it is very important to have blood tests because if you are heading for a premature menopause HRT should be started before periods become to sparse - in order to help protect your future health. Between age 40 and 45 is a grey area!

You can read about diagnosis of menopause here:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/diagnose.php

You will see that if blood tests are used then they should be taken between the 3rd and 5th day of the cycle - but that FSH is very variable.

Hurdity x

missyb

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 07:09:20 PM »

I'm almost 41 but periods started changing about 18 months ago.  I'm still getting them but the cycle varies each month or longer.  She said to repeat the blood tests in 4 weeks but I have no idea where I will be in my cycle at that time.

She said if my next blood test is up then we need to talk about either going on the progesterone pill or possibly a coil.  I really don't like the sound of the coil at all  >:(.  She said that they'd also keep checks on me over the next five years.  I won't worry about that though as the next blood test will probably be lower.  It's just nice not to be dismissed as they think you are too young.  The best thing has got to be the lack of sore breasts right before a period and the worst thing is migraines.

Thanks for the links, will go and have a read  :)