Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Newbie - Hi  (Read 1735 times)

MoonStar

Newbie - Hi
« on: October 24, 2017, 04:04:42 PM »

Hello
So glad I found this site.  I am 47 years old and think I may be going mad!   Over the last year my periods have been all over the place, missed a couple and some have been only two weeks apart.  Currently its been 40 days since my last period.  I think my period is coming, have all the feelings etc but it never shows.

Been to the doctors a couple of times but they say I am too young and it is probably stress.  I am not so sure about this but dont know where to turn?

Thanks for reading.

Dancinggirl

Re: Newbie - Hi
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 04:28:32 PM »

Moonstar - your doctors are talking rubbish.  Read through everything on this site to get clued up, print stuff off to show them and write down all your questions.  Ask for blood tests to check oestrogen and FSH and also thyroid function.   Your symptoms sound very much like peri meno - we get so angry when GPs simply tell women they are too young to be peri meno in their 40s - my peri started in my mid 30s. Ask for a referral to a meno clinic. DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 06:40:01 PM »

No lady is too young for menopause.  Some girls have 1 or 2 periods then go into premature menopause, others have symptoms B4 the 'expected' age - maybe your Practice Nurse would be more helpful? 

As Dancinggirl suggests .......... then let us know how you get on.  Do point out to the GP that it is never 'too early'!

JaneinPen

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 09:11:34 PM »

Moonstar I was 42 when I started the meno so you definitely are not too young. Can you talk to a different GP in your practice?

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 07:39:57 AM »

Hi Moonstar

:welcomemm:

As the others have said - you are not too young! In fact this is the typical age - NICE Guidelines say that women over 45 should be diagnosed as peri-menopausal on the basis of cyclical changes and symptoms alone and should not need FSH levels or other blood tests to determine this although if you are having unexplained new symptoms you might want the doc to carry out some blood tests eg thyroid function as Dancinggirl suggests.. What is it you were hoping from the doctors - are there specific symptoms which drove you to visit them? If you are not experiencing any symptoms then there is nothing to worry about. The doc is right that stress can cause periods to go awry - but I think it has to be something quite extreme (will vary from woman to woman) - but in the absence of this, given your age then peri-menopause is the most likely explanation.

Hurdity x

Meg

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 12:30:44 AM »

I get so upset with the way that women are being treated at this stage in their lives but I am not surprised given the lamentable state that the  NHS finds itself in now.  Seems to be in crisis.

Meg

VegeLady

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 03:37:01 PM »

Hello
I am also new. I am 48 and I haven't had a period for 5 months now and I have had peri menopause symptoms for a least 2 years. I am totally fed up with it. I also had strange periods one lasting 24 days then nothing for ages. I don't think you're too young at all

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 03:54:26 PM »

Browse round VegeLady!