Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Confused about vagifem  (Read 2591 times)

Nickyp

Confused about vagifem
« on: October 23, 2017, 06:35:12 PM »

Hi all, my doc emailed me today to say she has left a prescription for me for vagifem. I can't get to see her for a few week so apart from the directions stuck on the box I have no idea about the iins and outs. I know it's for va - do I just take this one course she has given me, does it work straight away, how long should I take it for. I have the box instructions once a night for 2 weeks and then 2 x a week. From the amount I have in the box this will be another 2 weeks. Also confused as a side effect is spotting - which is why it has been prescribed in the first place. I know there's lots of threads about vagifem but nothing seems to answer my question. Can anyone advise until I can discuss in full with my doctor. Thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Confused about vagifem
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 06:45:32 PM »

That's correct.  One doesn't take them by mouth, they are 4 use into the vagina.  Every night for two weeks in order to plump up the vaginal tissue then a maintenance dose.  This is recommended to be every 3 or 4th night and every 5 or 6th night.  Some ladies need the dose every night.

Has you Dr or Practice Nurse done an internal examination?  I had a polyp which bled on contact.  This disappeared at peri-menopause.  Maybe you have something up there that is causing the blood?  How are you periods, regular?

As oestrogen levels drop off the body may become dry: skin, nostrils, deep in the ears, vagina as well as causing muscles to become lax = aches and pains  ::).

Have a browse round!

Did your GP suggest that you return to see her B4 she prescribes the next box?  This if it works for you will be required for a long time.

Nickyp

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 07:36:16 PM »

Thanks CLKD, I had a scan which didn't reveal anything.  My GP examined me and could see a small paper like cut so thinks this is where the blood was from. On looking with a mirror - Yuk things do look a bit red and raw. The gynae clinic my GP spoke to said it was probably VA and no need for any other investigations or a referral. So here I am with  vagifem. Just a bit confused as if the bleeding continues is it my original issue or a side effect of vagifem. Nothing is ever simple with us women is it lol

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 08:05:47 PM »

Nothing is simple!

The point of localised oestrogen is to heal the vagina from the opening as far up as possible.  As oestrogen levels drop so skin becomes thinner = small tears - I get them in the edges of the mouth .......

Get that product up there  ;)

ancient runner

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 09:14:10 AM »

Hello Nicky
If this is VA you really don't want it getting any worse. The usual thing is to use one Vagifem a day for a fortnight then move over to twice a week. You can use it at any time of day (it sticks to the vaginal wall) but if you're sexually active then obviously don't put one in just before!
It's a long term treatment so you will then need to carry on using it. VA doesn't go away but if you chuck oestrogen at it, then for most women that works well.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 02:06:38 PM »

I have no idea about the iins and outs.

In out shake it all about - it's all about ins and outs in this game!  ::)

IN with the vagifem tube, press the plunger thingy until the tablet is ejected onto your vaginal wall (it sticks there automatically), then

OUT with the applicator!

Hope it works!

Hurdity x

PS Make sure you insert it the right way round - I regularly stick mine in plunger first and wonder why it won't work  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 03:00:05 PM »

:-\

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 07:48:38 AM »

Local oestrogen, like Vagifem, needs to used for the rest of your life to help reduce the urogenital problems that plague many women during and beyond menopause. If you stop using the local oestrogen then the problems will return and possibly become worse.
It can take weeks or months for the benefits of local oestrogen can be felt. It is also a good idea to use vaginal moisturiser eg SYLK or the YES products,  daily to help maintain the flora balance - just don't use the moisturiser at the same time as the oestrogen. DG x

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 03:54:19 PM »

:thankyou:  DG - I always forget the other products that help.

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 04:37:54 PM »

:-\

My attempt at humour CLKD!!!  I just thought Nickyp's wording was rather apt when thinking about Vagifem  ;D

Hurdity x