Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Newbie and worried over cervix  (Read 1967 times)

Speedy123

Newbie and worried over cervix
« on: October 24, 2017, 06:50:36 PM »

Help...  Frantic tonight. Went to colposcopy clinic today to have my cervix checked. Recently they had attempted, in the gynae clinic, a womb biopsy but this failed as they said the cervix was fused. today they have taken biopsies of cervix as they said it looked suspicious but have said this could be due to lack of oestrogen too so not to get overly worried until biopsy results are back. Of course that's impossible!. Has anyone else had anything similar? Never had abnormal smears, did have cysts on my cervix, found on colposcopy 7 years ago.
Told today that if biopsies are not good that I will need to go to theatre for further assessment. Also having scan tomorrow Would appreciate advice to help me cope.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Newbie and worried over cervix
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 07:31:55 PM »

Pity that Professionals don't consider the 'try not to worry' for themselves!

Did they explain lack of oestrogen?  Do browse our threads on vaginal atrophy.  [My Bladder etc..].  As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry: nostrils, deep in the ears, skin, vagina - as well as causing muscles to become lax = aches and pains. 

Maybe take a list of your worries to the scan appt..  Is someone going with you?   Who arranged the womb biopsy and why? 

Let us know how you get on.  Sometimes not enough sample is collected at biopsy so it may be suggested that you have a general anaesthetic so that you are completely relaxed and non-resistant to examination.  That way a more detailed look round can be achieved.

Speedy123

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 07:40:51 PM »

No didn't go into detail over oestrogen but aware of how it can effect myself just didn't think it could cause problems with the cervix.
Womb biopsy was requested as I have had a couple of episodes of spotting (7 yrs postmenopause). Husband is coming with me. Expecting that they won't tell me much  :(
Thanks for the reply. Need to get myself together again and take a step at a time! 

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 07:46:19 PM »

Take a list. Ask.  Get the answers to settle your mind!  You are entitled to find out prior to the examination what they will do, what they expect to find and what will happen afterwards, i.e. more bleeding : don't let them rush you!   .......... your GP has followed protocol - or you may have a polyp that bleeds on contact and the dryness down there really needs sorting.

Make sure that you keep that area really well lubricated, regardless of whether you are sexually active or not.  I use KY Jelly on the outer lips as well as Ovestin1mg to treat the vaginal atrophy.  B4 treatment it felt like razor blades up there  :o.  Plus repeated irritable bladder symptoms which my GP recognised as typical atrophy.  Hence the treatment. 

"I know that you are probably busy but B4 I have the scan I need to know ....... and after I would like to be told what the next stage is likely to be and why".  If you don't ask you don't get.  Medics are so used to dealing with stuff as well as being aware of what is 'normal' or not, that they a) forget how worried the patient is and b) that the patient would actually like to know!

I spent hours explaining to patients after the Drs had left the clinics  >:(  ::)

Speedy123

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 08:29:22 PM »

Yes I will try and ask as much as I can when I go for my scan. I'm hoping they will say if there is a problem but expecting them to say the results will be sent to the clinic.
Have had problems with cystitis and was given vagifem but got scared over using it after reading side effects but now realise that the info is for hrt as well I think! Vaginally I felt OK so just continued with moisturisers every few days. Cystitis is still an issue but a lot better than it had been.
Will just have to try and stay calm until I get the answers I suppose. Thanks for listening.
One other thing the screen in the clinic today was not working so they weren't able to explain things properly to me

« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 08:48:41 PM by Speedy123 »

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 07:41:20 AM »

Hi Speedy123

:welcomemm:

All the best for your appointment and try not to worry in the meantime.

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 03:44:13 PM »

Cystitis  -  vaginal atrophy mimics urine infection-type symptoms which is what GPs will think of 1st, if they request a urine sample it MUST be sent to a Lab. to make sure if there is infection.  After that, there are a couple of treatments to consider.

Speedy123

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 05:16:31 PM »

In my case I usually have an infection but thankfully they have reduced recently so hoping it lasts. Scan was ok today, just need to be patient now over the biopsy results. Thanks to you both for listening, does help to talk 😃

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 06:28:45 PM »

I'm glad the scan went ok.

Taz x  :bighug:

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 09:23:57 PM »

Thanks for the update.  What advice were you given?

Can you begin the 2 week 'load' of VA treatment?  This will be required for ever as the oestrogen dries the vagina - important to get into a routine  ;)

Speedy123

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 08:56:44 AM »

Nothing at the moment as they're waiting on the biopsy I've had to the cervix as they said it looked suspicious 😞 she sent them to be done urgently. If there is something on them will prob need to go to theatre for further assessment.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 12:08:38 PM »

How do you feel this morning?  Make a list of queries  ;) - better to be safe early on.