Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Cholesterol and statins  (Read 9889 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Cholesterol and statins
« on: October 23, 2017, 01:19:34 PM »

I am avoiding medication for as long as possible.  During a raft of recent blood tests my cholesterol was found to be still high.  GP muttering about stroke risk and statins ...... am waiting for a new set of blood results and have an appt. for end of October.  In the mean time am cutting out croissants etc.  :o and have added benecol products to my diet.  The yoghurts aren't too bad and I take my evening AD with the small bottle of drink. 

Has anyone here had success in lowering cholesterol to a level that the GP is happy with other than by taking statins?

dahliagirl

Re: Cholesterol and statins
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 03:09:16 PM »

I did by keeping my fat levels down to those of a healthy diet with less than 20g saturated fat. I was very strict and made a spreadsheet (which I called my Low Fat Spreadsheet). I found it really difficult to get 2000 calories in though  :(  It was hard downing all the unprocessed carbohydrate.  I lost 7lbs.  I also let it lapse after I got vit D deficiency.

There is a diet around which uses plenty pulses (especially soy), nuts (especially almonds) and oats to reduce cholesterol.

Generally you replace saturated fats such as butter and dairy and red meats with non saturated fats such as olive oil, rapeseed, nut oils, oily fish.

You also need to reduce omega 6 fats in relation to omega 3.  It is easy to get too much Omega 6 from things like sunflower oil and chicken.  Rapeseed oil is better than sunflower and don't go overboard on chicken (try more pulses instead).

Just to add, I am on the fence on statins.  I know someone who took them and said it was brilliant because she could eat what she wanted and one who had to stop taking them because of muscle pain (she is still around and eating what she likes ;) )  I would rather not take them. 

Old studies show that an active lifestyle is the best thing. There is a classic one that compares bus drivers and bus conductors - guess which one had the best cholesterol results :D  Someone I know went for a walk immediately after dinner every night with her husband, before the dishes were washed and it did help, but they got bored with it.

Plenty fruit and veg are your friends, along with wholegrains of different types.  Keep refined stuff like biscuits, cakes and Tunnocks teacakes for special treats  :(

Like I said above, I fell of the wagon when I got vit d deficiency, and also when I discovered nuts make my throat swell,  but still try and eat plenty pulses and oats and less butter. 
I haven't had a blood test in ages, but the last ones were still ok - slightly over on the total number but good ratio.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 03:14:22 PM by dahliagirl »

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 05:12:11 PM »

How high is your cholesterol CLKD? I presume you've had the whole lot tested ie total, HDL, LDL and the ratio? The total on its own doesn't give the whole picture.

Mine was done and Total and LDL (the bad one) are high but HDL (the good one) is fine and the ration of total to HDL is also fine.

There is nothing I can do to lower mine because I eat very few carbs and sugar, few processed and refined foods, and not much saturated fat - although I don't measure it. I eat tons of fish, fruit, veg, eggs, nuts and pulses, low fat yogurt, and low fat meat, mainly olive oil and healthy fats, a few carb-rich foods like muesli. My diet is very very healthy. Also only small amount of alcohol mainly at weekends and within limits. Non-smoker. It makes not the slightest difference to my cholesterol levels. 

I've never been offered statins nor would I take them because I take plenty of exercise, my blood pressure is very low, and I am within healthy BMI although could do with losing a few pounds weight. If your doc is muttering stroke risk there must be another reason. My doc put all the factors into a computer thing and an algorithm worked out my 10 year stroke risk as something like 7% which is very low so no need to do anything. Maybe see if doc has done this for you? I know it's only a crude measure but my doc said - get them re-tested in 2 years - and that was just from the total measurement - not even the HDL thing I mentioned.

She said some people just have naturally higher cholesterol depending on liver function. There have been threads on this recently and defo within last few months so you could look back and find the various responses. I'm not going to bump them because too many gets confusing to everyone but I'm sure you will be able to find them as you usually do!

So the answer is - my levels according to the usual measurement is high at last measurement (6.8) but not extremely high.... but my doc is happy with this without doing anything else and without taking statins....

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 06:17:56 PM »

Tnx.

We eat healthy foods.  Have done since we married.  We eat very little spread ......... the daily recommended benocol amount is more than I eat in a week! 

I don't like fish.  Much  ::).  I don't drink alcohol.  Don't smoke. 

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 03:50:29 PM »

Any NICE guidelines for Benecol ?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 02:26:47 PM by CLKD »

littleminnie

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 04:11:55 PM »

Someone I know has just seen a dietitian regarding fats.
Cheese, crisps, cake and biscuits are the biggest culprits.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 04:49:52 PM »

Tnx.  Apparently the NHS won't recommend Benecol 'because it is expensive to buy' - well most people have mobile technology, large TVs, good quality cars - and often buy yoghurts, so changing to the above shouldn't be a problem !?! of course, if it were recommend the NHS would have to prescribe it  ::)

dahliagirl

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 04:50:45 PM »

Cheese, crisps, cake and biscuits are the biggest culprits Crisps are so nice  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 06:47:08 PM »

Oh for a chocolate eclair  ;D with extra cream .........

Maryjane

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 07:36:58 PM »

Sugar turns to fat ? Biscuits , cupnof t with sugar etc etc .

Cassie

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 07:47:44 PM »

The only cholesterol that Drs should consider treating with statins is the hereditory high chol. Statins have awful side effects.You need a full cholesterol count with the so called good and bad chol the GP can then work out your ratio but so so much more important is to check your tryglycerides and homocysteine levels these are the indicators for heart disease and stroke etc there is plenty of new evidence to indicate that cholesterol is in fact not the menace it has been made out to be. You need healthy fats in your diet, full cream milk, butter, coconut or olive oil, plenty of veggies, fruit, salads and of course protein, try to cut bck on all sugars and of course on sweet milky drinks, pizzas, bread etc and get at least 20 mins of walking or some exercise per day but statins are not great and in my opinion cause more problems than they are worth.

jaycee

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 09:09:28 PM »

I STOPPED TAKING STATINS, WHEN MY LOCAL PHARMCAIST SAID SHE WOULDNT TOUCH THEM
Sorry caps on by mistake
My sister suffers with muscle pain on them

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 11:47:47 AM »

You are a Mine of Info  :thankyou:

I won't stop my blackT with 2 sugars ;-).  I don't drink enough anyway and by mid-afternoon tea tastes awful  >:(.  I've stoped grabbing for Coke instead.

My GP has been good in ordering lipid levels, result expected to be discussed on Monday.  Himself has the same level - 7.5 -  :D so we are upping activity, talked long into the night about what to avoid and realised that we haven't been told yet how statins actually work.  He felt that his appt. yesterday was rushed: your cholesterol is up so take statins, end of!!!!  Because it is known that they do cut risk they will be prescribed, so that the NHS can wash it's hands of us. 

However, we feel that taking statins may well encourage people not to review their over-all Life-style ?!?  ...... Benecol has been added to the diet, cheese cut out completely and more fish  :sick02: added.

We had a 45 min walk in lovely sunshine earlier and since taking the VitD capsules daily I find it easier than I did a few weeks ago.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2017, 02:27:07 PM »

Bowels upset  :'(

Apparently one is supposed to: according to NHS Guidelines: have fasted for 12 hours blood tests for cholesterol!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 02:34:19 PM by CLKD »

Nasil41

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2017, 02:49:25 PM »

I take statins, have done for 2 years now.
I take them as we have familial non alcoholic fatty liver disease so most of my family are on them. I recently had a liver scan which confirms I have it so it's statins and diet control for me. My dad and my paternal grandmother died from strokes so I'm worried the same fate awaits me  :o
Pages: [1] 2 3