Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: UK Economy  (Read 3814 times)

Pennyfarthing

Re: UK Economy
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2018, 07:31:00 PM »

I don't blame them. Life can be short. Who knows what's around the corner for any of us and if they can afford it (which is the important part) then enjoy it.

Taz x

They certainly think about money differently to our generation Taz.  They have it and spend it, we seemed to save a lot more.

Taz2

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2018, 07:46:25 PM »

I remember my mum and dad saying that about my generation. Nowadays I think there is so much more to be had and so many more opportunities.

However I do think the high street is a different place to what it was. I hate shopping though so it's probably my fault 🤣

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2018, 07:49:12 PM »

I think back to my Mum's time when Dad was the bread winner and she raised the children.  Money was measured out, Grans had cans for rent, milk, bread, meat on the mantlepiece.  Too high for us kids to reach it  :D.  She would borrow from one tin into another occasionally if it had been necessary to have the Dr..

There simply wasn't any extra.   Anyone remember jumble sales! ? ! lots of fun and very noisy  ;D.  Packets of seeds, no garden centres.  Everything came from hardware shops.  Nails in singles or as many as Dad required, not in packs of 5/10/15 etc..  Light bulbs in singles, not packs. 

Most people bought material and patterns, 'cut out and ready to sow' from magazines, clothing was long with room to turn up or down dependant on growth.  The thing I remember is that School Uniform came from 1 specific shop in the town 7 miles away so that we all looked the same, the shop stocked all the uniforms for miles around.  So smart.  The one thing that was bought new other than shoes.  Everything passed down the families: clothing, toys, prams, cycles .......

Now they want it new.  On the never-never.  I think we need to get back to not having so many clothes, I went through mine last week and put everything togtheter: except jewellery but at one time I had ear-rings and bracelets in bags next to the items. 

Most houses have an open fire and because material was natural it could be re-sued and eventually burned: usually on the Guy  ::).  Then along came cans, plastic and we became a throw-away society.  What goes round comes round?

As stated, we have tried to buy in store but are diverted to the company on-line section !  >:(

littleminnie

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2018, 12:02:58 PM »

Do they still visit the high street or are the more internet shoppers (like me)?

Taz x

Online mostly.  A**S is a firm favourite

sheila99

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2018, 12:29:49 PM »

It's our fault, we buy on the internet instead of the high street. According to a recent TV programme 70% of fashion ends up in land fill within a year so clothes are still being bought.
  Many chains have closed their shops in my local small town so I have less reason to go there. The large centre another 20 miles away is booming, but I will use the internet instead.

Gangan

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2018, 12:36:43 PM »

I wonder if the high street especially for clothing could become 'sample' shops where you see the item try it on etc and then they order it into store for you or you go home and get it online. Maybe that is a daft business concept though !

I do online shopping but there are some things that i would never have bought unless i had seen them first.  One example a skirt in M&S recently they didn't have my size so i came home and ordered it but i would never have picked it out online.

Gangan

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2018, 12:59:05 PM »

Not daft at all?  Put it to Alan Sugar?  I buy from catalogues because I can try on in comfort.  Any postage costs sending clothes back to the company would be taken up by parking/fuel costs anyway.

As an anxiety sufferer I have bought from catalogues for years, did all our Festive shopping that way. 

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2018, 03:58:30 PM »

I remember jumble sales, CLKD.  ;D
My mom loved em...
She used to drag me with her to them, sometimes just round the corner, other times quite a walk away, we used wait outside for the doors to open and then everyone would be rushing in, pushing, n pulling they're way through.
I used to like going to the brickabrack stall, looking at toys or books, or even ornaments.
Other than that I hated it.  ::)
She used to buy loads of stuff sometimes, she loved it....

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2018, 04:03:11 PM »

We wore stuff from jumble sales, apparently my younger sister HATED it.  Whereas it never bothered me 'cos it meant that Mum could spend money on comics  ;) [remember those]

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2018, 04:08:12 PM »

My brothers had comics..

I had  Jackie magazine delivered every week.
I loved that magazine. Lol
Then one day just grew out of it....

Then it was ‘hello' or ‘ok' magazines...

Now it's nothing. Internet.

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2018, 08:42:42 PM »

I buy magazines regularly to read whilst DH is at his hobbies.  I have found someone who would like to read them after I do.  Then he hands them on .......... we also buy the Sat. papers and sometimes the local rag if the headlines catch the eye. 

I do like to try on shoes in real time so off to 'hotters' when necessary.  Jeans I buy from a catalogue.  I have lots of seasonal clothing 2 wear as and when.  Old jeans go to a sewing group who love to use denim, as I buy brightly coloured jeans they are always pleased to get them to cut up for hand-bags and small purses.  They also re-use the zips .....

Older clothing goes to charity for 'rags' which are sold per weight.  That doesn't mean that I go and buy new.  Also, it is obvious that most men buy when they have to, where as girls  ;D - a little of what we fancy perhaps? 

I have always bought what I like.  Never kept to fashion.  Never conformed.  Bought records if I liked them, not because others did so.  Same with films ........ and TV choices.  I still have stuff all around, most of it saleable.  Now if I could persuade Companies not to pack in plastic?
Pages: 1 [2]