Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Another newbie  (Read 892 times)

Raindancer

• First Flush
Another newbie
« on: October 23, 2017, 11:14:09 AM »

Hi - I am 53 and have just landed on the planet of the menopause! ( well it feels like I am in another world anyway.

As a person who was permanently cold, I am now always warm and I wouldn't say that I have had a hot flush yet. I have joint pains, particularly in my left knee. I am being referred to musculoskeletal Doc's just to check that there are not other reasons for pain and swelling, which I have had for 6 months. I have emotional mood swings for a while but I am alleviating that with mindfulness and meditations. I would like advice on HRT thought. I haven't had periods ever since I've had the mirena coil but now have soreness on urinating intermittently. Tests have ruled out cystitis. I am now losing hair ( in area other than my head) and I quite reluctant to lose it anywhere else noticeable! I have been looking up for the best options. I would be grateful for opinions on HRT as opposed to alternative therapies to help me make the right decision.

Many thanks :)

Mini1

Re: Another newbie
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 11:33:03 AM »

Hi I'm 53 too and my last period was 3 years ago. I've had hot flushes for about 4 years but I coped with them. However, in the last few months my health has taken a downward turn.....hot and cold flushes day and night, constant nausea, very emotional, no energy. I started HRT on Friday as I need to feel better. It's early days for me xx

Hurdity

Re: Another newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 04:48:50 PM »

Hi Raindancer

:welcomemm:

Depending when your last Mirena coil was put in you can take oestrogen only HRT - in the form of tablets patches or gel (personally I have only ever used patches and they've worked a treat but others will swear by their fave method!). If you have always been cold and having hair loss - have you had your thyroid checked? Sometimes this goes wonky around menopause but can be masked by the overheating. Feeling always warm is often the precursor to flushes proper starting - it happened like this for me - and  also others on here too. I've been on HRT for over 10 years and now mid 60's and thoroughly recommend it - as does the medical profession in the absence of any reasons why not.

Here are all the different types listed: https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/treatafter.php

Also if you are having soreness then local oestrogen is also indicated ( as well as systemic HRt for other symptoms - don't let the doc tell you otherwise. You can use Vagifem or there are estriol creams - and these are all listed here: https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/local.php

Do familiarise yourself with all the fantastic information there is on the this website and if you decide on a particular type, make sure you know your arguments for choosing it - and go back to your doc!

Let us know what you decide!

Hurdity x