Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Worried - type of HRT needed after subtotal hysterectomy  (Read 5119 times)

Eviepf

Worried - type of HRT needed after subtotal hysterectomy
« on: October 21, 2017, 04:56:07 PM »

I've just been browsing info re HRT and was alarmed to read that women (like me) who have had a hysterectomy but have kept their cervix, should be prescribed combined HRT to start with, not just oestrogen.

I'm now really worried, because I've been taking oestrogen alone since May, first in the form of patches and now Estrogel. The gynae who first prescribed it knew I'd kept my cervix and so does my GP who's continued the prescription.

Sounds like I should have been given combined in the beginning and only later, if no bleeding, go on to oestrogen alone. Apart from the worry over endometriosis and cancer, the last thing I need is progesterone as I understand it can irritate the bladder and that's my real problem.

Help - can anyone advise?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Worried - type of HRT needed after subtotal hysterectomy
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 09:42:24 PM »

Maybe send an e-mail to Dr Curry and ask, costs £25.00.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 07:49:03 AM »

Hi Evie - as you say the advice is to begin with a cyclical HRT to see whether there is any bleeding and, if not, then it is safe to assume that there are no cells left in the cervical canal.

This is the advice from this site https://menopausematters.co.uk/aftermeno.php. Although the progesterone could irritate your bladder it would put your mind at rest probably to try the cyclical HRT for a few months so you can then relax and not worry about a build up of lining in your cervical canal?

Taz x

Eviepf

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 09:32:37 AM »

Thanks both for your replies.

I'm going to email the gynae now and will also phone my GP tomorrow. Something new to worry about - that's all I needed... :(

Annie0710

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 09:58:45 AM »

I never knew that about the cervix + progesterone as my cervix needed to go but I do know that if a woman has a hysterectomy and history of endometriosis then progesterone is advised permanently with oestrogen.  Maybe the dose can be tweaked x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 02:45:14 PM »

Maybe make a list B4 you 'phone Eviepf and take down notes?

Eviepf

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 09:09:04 AM »

Just an update - emailed gynae, who is away this week but I hope she'll get back to me early next week. Also rang GP, but couldn't get to speak to the 'HRT expert' at the practice until today. She's meant to ring me later, so will let you know how it goes.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 11:48:34 AM »

You should get some advice, hopefully, by mid-week!  Let us know?

Eviepf

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 05:38:07 PM »

I wanted to update this thread with the answer to my query:

I emailed the gynae who originally prescribed me oestrogen only HRT, but she was away, so I asked my GP. She contacted the gynae at the local meno clinic (who actually did my hysterectomy) who confirmed that 'oestrogen only' is fine for those who've had a subtotal hysterectomy, but to watch out for any bleeding, which I fortunately haven't had. It seems that standard practice is not to start with combined HRT in these cases.

The prescribing gynae is now back and emailed me today, saying exactly the same thing.

This is rather confusing, as guidance on MM and also on other websites I've looked at, says otherwise (although some sites suggest that initial combined HRT 'may be considered' and others say 'should definitely be used). I've decided that since 2 consultant gynaes have spoken on the matter, I'm going to go with what they say!