Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: How long does it take for HRT to work?  (Read 4697 times)

Mini1

How long does it take for HRT to work?
« on: October 22, 2017, 06:52:12 AM »

Hi I know this will have been asked many times, but how long does it take for HRT to begin working?
I am taking Kliovance. At the moment I feel dreadful with hot flushes, terrible nausea, no energy and heart palpitations. My life has ground to a halt.
Thank you xx

Annie0710

Re: How long does it take for HRT to work?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 08:07:57 AM »

I don't think there's a definite answer as some symptoms can be relieved within days (flushes etc) but emotional symptoms can take weeks/months to notice a difference

dazned

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 09:11:15 AM »

Everyone is different,could be a week,could be a month as Annie0710 says. It is recommended to stick through 3months before making any decisions. Hope you improve soon.

Marie62

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 11:49:12 AM »

I started on elleste duet conti and it took about 3 weeks for the flushes to stop, it didn't agree with me so went on Kliovance which is just a lower dose of the same hormones, that didn't work for me either :( ended up with really bad depression and anxiety. Still don't know if it was my own hormones or the hrt that caused it. I've been on Angeliq for 3 months now and doing quite well on it apart from some early morning anxiety. I'd give it 3 months at least to see if it works for you.

Mini1

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 12:02:01 PM »

I'm hoping it doesn't take 3 months to work! Thanks everyone for replying x

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 07:41:26 PM »

As already said, the usual advice is 3 months for side effects to settle but it should start to work well before this for flushes and sweats and possibly palpitations. However as you are well post-menopause and your body has been oestrogen deficient for some time then you do need to be a little bit patient. Hopefully after a couple of weeks you will notice a difference. Patches usually work quicker - mine started to work within a few days ( I was late peri-menopause). Also some women find that the continuous progestogen doesn't suit them but again you need to give it a while yet. Fingers crossed you feel much better soon :)

Hurdity x

peri

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 09:28:44 PM »

I'm on patches too and mine started to work very quickly (after about 24 hours).  As Hurdity has pointed out it may be the progesterone that is the problem.  If that does turn out to be the case you can always switch to a sequi regime, which means putting up with a bleed but at least you get a break from the progesterone and it's side effects x

Mini1

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 10:32:06 AM »

Once again thanks for all your replies.
I'm not worried about side effects at the moment. I just want these horrible symptoms to get better. I never knew the menopause could make you feel so poorly. Xx