Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: HRT and VA  (Read 3577 times)

Nickyp

HRT and VA
« on: October 18, 2017, 08:33:20 PM »

Hi all,

I am on Elleste Duet conti and have been for 2 years. I Recentky went the doctor as has some bleeding, have had scans which were all fine. On her examining me she could see a paper like cut which she thinks was the cause of the bleed. She gave me some hydrofoil ointment and said she would seek advise from the gynae clinic, she said she could email them and would get back to me.I am still waiting for her to come back with a response. Anyway I am now getting a very very light bleed daily, I have been brave and have looked in a mirror to see what's going on down there, everything looks red raw. Could this be V A in which case isn't taking hrt supposed to help with that? Do I need to change hrt, have something for va if it is that, both or neither? My doc seems a bit clueless and having chased her today for a response to find out she forgot to send the email! Anyone help please?

Maryjane

Re: HRT and VA
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 08:44:38 PM »

You need local oestrogen as a first line ,any ladies need both . 😊

Nickyp

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 09:10:18 PM »

Thanks Maryjane, do my symptoms seem like va?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 09:14:04 PM »

For me VA felt like a bladder infection.  Initially this was treated with anti-biotic treatment until my GP noted a pattern.  It started with the need to pee, often - I would sit on the loo with a glass of cold water and a cup of tea, the only place I could feel comfy - allowing the spincter to relax and the wee to run free.

A urine sample was sent (MUST BE) to a Lab. and as mine didn't grow any bugs, the GP prescribed local oestrogen.  As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry which includes the vagina - it felt like razor blades up there  :o.  The treatment is used for 2 weeks every night followed by several times a week - some ladies require application every night, others as necessary but always at least 1 or twice weekly.

Maybe have a chat with your Practice Nurse and ask for examination to check then get VA treatment?  HRT by mouth/patches won't ease those symptoms down below  ;)

We have threads here (My Bladder etc.) ....... let us know how you get on!

jaycee

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 09:31:03 PM »

I got the razor blades feeling it was awful, i thought it was cystitis , but had 2 lots of ABs before it went ,on vagifem now

Maryjane

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 05:32:15 AM »

Nicky P yes it does sound like VA , first place to treat anyway and see what happens , CLKD always gives a far better reply than me ....I should really as my VA has been truly awful and cost me a lot of money , and I have seen everyone bare a vet it seems like ....in some instances a vet would have known more. 😳🤣

dahliagirl

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 09:40:34 AM »

With me, I had outside itching for years.

After a prolapse op (and a few months after stopping the pill), I had swelling, soreness and a very wet discharge that dripped like a tap.  I was investigated for BV and had antibiotics, then thrush treatments OTC, all of which seemed to help initially then it would go back.

The wet discharge eventually became pink, and fearing for my operation scar, I hot footed it to the locum and asked whether he thought it was thrush, BV or menopause.  He said anything goes in menopause and it was probably that.  He gave me a swab, some local antibiotic stuff, and when the swab came back negative, I started on vagifem. 

I have been fine since then apart from the odd 'blip'  although I have started on full hrt since.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 02:30:11 PM »

:thankyou: Maryjane - I remember the feeling of 'razor blades' so well and it's probably 3 years ago!  I have been lucky and can get by with 1 application every 6 days.  If symptoms niggle I go back to 3-4 nights use to see how the bladder reacts.

Nickyp

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 08:14:41 PM »

Thanks everyone. Whilst I'm still waiting for my doctor to get back to me are there any 'home remedies' I could try?

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 02:24:41 PM »

Nope.  Unless you by 'sylk' - do read the various VA threads on here, i.e. 'My Bladder etc.' ......

lesley998

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2017, 06:24:36 PM »

I swear by coconut oil and Doublebase gel! I don't have VA, but am prone to splitting skin between the vagina and the urethra. Everytime i go to the loo I apply the Doublebase or diprobase generously to the area, and I use the coconut oil (solid type, in a jar) as a lubricant and also apply it high up,with one of those applicators for Ovestin cream.

lesley998

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 06:27:32 PM »

Oh, I've also used Vit E pessaries in the past too and these are great

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 06:43:32 PM »

Tnx.  I have to say, I WINCED at your description  :-\  :o

lesley998

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2017, 06:55:56 PM »

...the splitting skin or the applications?