Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Lyme disease  (Read 2305 times)

Chi chi

Lyme disease
« on: October 19, 2017, 06:05:26 PM »

Haven't been here in a while but been plodding on, stopped all my HRT to see what happens and to be honest haven't felt better but haven't felt worse either 👍🏽

Anyway I've now just been diagnosed with Lyme Disease 😳 Due to start 2 lots of antibiotics tonight. I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who has it. I'm not sure how long I've had it and don't ever remember getting the classic "bullseye" rash just lots of other crappy symptoms, maybe I haven't even hit peri yet! 😳😳

Hurdity

Re: Lyme disease
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 07:11:56 PM »

Hi Chi Chi  - sorry to hear about your Lyme Disease. Not everyone gets the bulls-eye rash apparently. When was your tick bite and do you know how long it was attached ie was it engorged? Presumably it was that (the bite) which drove you to the doc to get the blood tests? I get tick bites quite often (live in rural area and go for walks in vegetation - they are also in the wild parts of our garden/grassland)  - had two in the summer and two last autumn. However I found them pretty quickly - probably the day after so hopefully didn't catch anything. One last autumn took a long time to heal so doc gave me two weeks ABs as precaution...

Are you able to take antibiotics? I know there was someone on here whose brother had it and it took a long time of treatment with ABs to cure it properly. I think it might have been cubagirl...not sure she's been on here for a bit though....

I thought you'd been on HRT for a long time due to peri-menopause? Your periods in the absence of HRT will be the best test of where you are in menopause.

In the meantime I do hope you will be able to get some relief from your symptoms and also be on the way to a cure with the right treatment - which symptoms are affecting you the most?

Hurdity x

Chi chi

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 10:08:53 PM »

Hi Hurdity, Not sure how much you remember about me but I'd been trying HRT for a while as I was told that I was in peri. All of my symptoms pretty much stayed despite trying various doses etc. I decided to see an integrated Dr and whilst just casually talking about possible causes for all my symptoms Lyme was mentioned but he said he'd be surprised if it was that. I came away and started looking into Lyme and the different symptoms ( which I had lots of ) this together with an old bite that used to itch and weep pushed me to get tested. I sent my blood samples to a lab in Germany and it came back weak positive but also showed that my immune system was really struggling.
Aware of all the false positives and negatives surrounding Lyme testing we decided to look into going to see a Lyme literate dr. This proved to be rather difficult as there aren't that many but we found a Lyme clinic in Marbella and decided to visit and make a long weekend of it in the sun!
I had lots more specific tests to check again for Lyme and also co infections. It came back positive for Lyme again and also a couple of other things.
I'm going to be on 2 lots of antibiotics for 2 months then possibly another 3 months after that depending on how I feel/react.
Periods are regular at the moment

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 02:23:55 PM »

I think that I suggested that you look at the appropriate UK site but as my memory is shot right now  ::) and was Spain lovely and warm?  One needs to go with one's gut reaction with Lyme Disease as many UK practitioners are totally un-aware of the symptoms and their effects!!

Katia

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 07:08:16 PM »

Chi chi I hode they work for you. Treatment of Lyme is relatively straightforward, it's diagnosis that's harder. At least you're over the hardest part. I studied it as part of my MSc

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 08:10:35 PM »

So few GPs recognise the symptoms though ........