Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Felling a tree - help  (Read 5616 times)

Pennyfarthing

Felling a tree - help
« on: October 19, 2017, 10:52:51 AM »

Hoping one of you ladies might have some suggestions.

We've lived in this house for 25+ years and there's a beautiful horse chestnut tree just outside our garden and we see it change with the seasons and love it.  It's complicated but it's on the shared border of 2 neighbours plus a footpath so we are not sure who it really belongs to and nobody has ever accepted responsibility for it.

One of the neighbours concerned tells me that they're having it felled soon as she's worried a branch is going to fall on someone. It's been there decades and nobody has been hit yet!  There is no tree preservation order on it but it seems really sad and destructive to fell it. The other neighbour says she's not bothered either way.

I guess there's not much we can do but I just feel sad that the birds will miss it, the local people will miss it as it's a landmark and the environment will miss it. 😪

jaycee

Re: Felling a tree - help
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 11:06:06 AM »

Surely just remove some branches that look as if they may fall, i think this neighbour should have consulted the others too,its a shame to take the whole tree down, dont they have to have permission from the council, even if there is no preservation order on it

dahliagirl

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 11:08:56 AM »

It is difficult when they get mature and need maintenance in built up areas.  So often trees are planted which grow too big for the space.  :(

You could grow something smaller on your patch to replace it.  Smaller trees and shrubs attract a lot of wildlife and can provide good food and shelter for birds.  On the plus side, there will be more light so they will grow well  ;)

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 11:10:15 AM »

Surely just remove some branches that look as if they may fall, i think this neighbour should have consulted the others too,its a shame to take the whole tree down, dont they have to have permission from the council, even if there is no preservation order on it

They had some branches removed last spring and the tree looks fine.  I don't understand how they want to destroy a beautiful tree.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 11:11:19 AM »

It is difficult when they get mature and need maintenance in built up areas.  So often trees are planted which grow too big for the space.  :(

You could grow something smaller on your patch to replace it.  Smaller trees and shrubs attract a lot of wildlife and can provide good food and shelter for birds.  On the plus side, there will be more light so they will grow well  ;)

THanks dahliagirl. We live in a rural area and the tree has been there decades. 

dahliagirl

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 12:04:25 PM »

I have an awful neighbour who denuded the area at the bottom of my garden (and worse) in an attempt to make it into a building site.  It is truly awful - I talked to the planners and enforcers a lot and even to the tree preservation people about putting an order on the trees at the bottom of my garden in order to prevent damage of my boundary.  Tree preservation orders are a bureaucratic nightmare and expensive to carry out, and if no one is absolutely certain who owns it, that will add to the expense.  It would not be good for neighbourly relations if you live there for another 25 years.   I also found that there was very little I could do as it is not my land  >:(

So now, with the help of a garden designing friend, I have managed the hedge to get it to grow thicker and planted more borders in front of it for something new and pretty to look at and distract me from the devastation behind it.  It is not the same, but it helps.

bramble

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 12:18:46 PM »

Perhaps suggest that you get a tree surgeon in to have a look and take his opinion as to whether it needs felling or not.

Bramble

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 02:10:23 PM »

You can slap a preservation order on it!  the local authority have to investigate and give advice.  Someone will own it, it should be shown on the Deeds of the property, might be worth having a look-see.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 11:09:17 AM »

You can slap a preservation order on it!  the local authority have to investigate and give advice.  Someone will own it, it should be shown on the Deeds of the property, might be worth having a look-see.

Oh, the tree man at the council didn't suggest this. He said he would talk to them and try to persuade them not to fell it but he can't force them.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 01:36:41 PM »

Go to the Environmental Dept at your Council and ask advice or to a reputable tree surgeon - Yellow Pages.  No one can fell any tree in our District without the proper Planning Consent and have to be insured for over £M2 - against accident etc..

However, if a tree is found to be infiltrating drains, footings etc. then it has to be considered. 

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 12:40:41 PM »

Council say it could take up to 4 weeks to reply due to the high volume of calls!!  In that time the tree will be gone I'm sure.

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 12:45:21 PM »

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 01:37:58 PM »

Get back to them.  Ask who else can slap an order on.  Or print one out end pin as close as possible, stating that a Preservation Order has been slapped on and that details of any previous Orders are being investigated.  Also if you can be bothered, contact a tree surgeon and the local Wild-life Group.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2017, 06:39:08 PM »

Too late! its gone.  I am so sad! 😪😪

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2017, 06:41:02 PM »

Keep at the appropriate dept though - it can cost money if it has been felled without permission.  Though £1,800  [approx] isn't a lot per tree.  I expect you won't be speaking to them again?
Pages: [1] 2