Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: 'Celebrities' and Meno  (Read 2517 times)

Snoooze

'Celebrities' and Meno
« on: October 18, 2017, 02:17:52 PM »

I've seen two articles this week. One about Davina McCall and her 'early' menopause. Hm, I'm sure some ignorant journalists just assume it's early without realising it's actualy peri menopause! Davina is now on HRT and age 50 is saying how it  has improved her sex life which is odd as my GP told me HRT wouldn't improve my lack of libido!

Another article today is not so much a celeb but the ex wife of singer, Noel Gallagher. Hers is more interesting. She speaks about how she started suffering from Social Anxiety during meno and how HRT has helped her (she mentions a gel HRT).

Here are the articles if anyone is interested:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4982784/Davina-Mccall-reveals-menopause-makes-feel-sexier.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4992124/Meg-Matthews-discusses-anxiety-menopause.html

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: 'Celebrities' and Meno
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 03:53:02 PM »

:thankyou:

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 05:12:32 PM »

Thanks Snoooze.

I haven't read the articles but re what your GP said about libido and HRT - it is oral (tablet) HRT which can actually depress libido due to its effect on something called Sex Hormone Binding Globulin which mops up teststerone so it is unavailable to use by the body.  Some women do find that increasing oestrogen alone can help with libido (provided it is transdermal). Paradoxically I remember reading on here that some women have noticed improved libido with some of the more testosterone derived progestogens that are part of HRT - but this is not universal!

Hurdity x

peri

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 05:15:57 PM »

Thanks for that Snooze.  I like reading about celebrity menos as they're no different from us.  Interesting that Davina McCall likened failing oestrogen to coming off heroin!  Also, both presumably can access the best support money can buy and both chose hrt x

Hezzalady67!

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 06:24:37 PM »

Thanks for that Snooze.  I like reading about celebrity menos as they're no different from us. 

...apart from the fact they have personal trainers and the benefits of make up artists, airbrushing, stylists and silly salaries so still manage to look much more fabulous that I can ever look!  :-\ which is why I am not too keen on the articles/features.

peri

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 06:50:09 PM »

I mean they go through the menopause like us and have the same awful symptoms  :D

Hezzalady67!

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 07:44:21 PM »

I know, sorry, slightly tongue  cheek. I guess how they feel inside and the effects of symptoms are still the same even if they are more able to put a veneer on things.

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 11:20:20 AM »

I'm glad the celebs raise the profile of the meno - BUT, they make it look so easy!  Just take a pill, gel or patch, and Bam, they are fine!
The rest of us battle on with not a lot of support from GP/NHS!
Just jealous I suppose  >:(!