Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Coming of HRT  (Read 6229 times)

yriches65

Re: Coming of HRT
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2017, 10:27:36 PM »

Hi All,

Thanks for the additional comments.... for info...

The bladder infection did clear up , but was left with insomnia , anxiety etc.... hence why the sex hormones were looked at..

With regards to the Estrogel... originally was on 2 pumps then 3 , but then reduced to 2 ... but had side effects...which did ease slightly when added some progesterone.... have also been on testosterone but still couldn't get it all balanced...

A few trips to the GP's and none have mentioned about checking my bone density... they just don't have a clue..

At the moment the VA is still ok, don't think it has gone bad again.... don't know at the moment and not intimate with the other half

At the moment the last week has been pure hell...with no good days :-(

Big Hugs

Yx

Bluebell

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2017, 11:51:24 AM »

Hi ladies, just been reading the posts about coming off HRT. I went on it in April because of sweats and palpitations (I'm 63 and 4yrs post) however it did put away the sweats etc. but I would wake in the night with horrendous anxiety...feeling like I was totally wired and bowels going etc. After 5 months I weaned myself off but I'm now suffering terribly with anxiety and nervy bowel (all of which I never had before HRT). I'm also having nights of insomnia....wandering about in the wee small hours feeling very fragile.  I'm trying mindfulness for the chatter that goes on in my brain whilst lying awake.
I'm going to see the Meno Dr next week and just not sure whether to try another HRT or to take beta blockers or something. Does Ad's have side effects or are they a good alternative? 🙇🏼‍♀️

rebel2

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2017, 11:19:21 AM »

Carol -I'll be interested to hear how you get on.  Exactly the same happened to me, I'm now floored with anxiety and mind chatter.  I found citalopram made me very flat and numb but stopped the panic attacks.  I was very sleepy to start with and found concentration difficult but it flattened out after a month.  But I stopped after four months as I just felt nothing.  I kept anxiety under control reasonably well for another 18 months with just occasional bouts, but can't get rid of it now so am thinking of stopping HRT as it can't be any worse than this!

Good luck, let me know how you get on.

Yammy1

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2017, 12:47:01 PM »

I really think hrt is NOT for some people and quite frankly I don't think it benefits anyone by scaring them into thinking if you don't take hrt it will damage your heart and bones. While i totally understand it works really well for some we are NOT all the same and we are not failures because we 'gave up' on hrt.

rebel2

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2017, 01:06:22 PM »

totally agree Yammy.  Nobody on here should be scared into doing anything.  I must admit I am now a little scared to give it up -despite my doctor saying I should!  How stupid is that, I am taking advice on here over my GP's professional opinion?!  I know they aren't experts on meno, but they are at least doctors!!

dazned

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2017, 01:45:27 PM »

Well said Yammy1. It isn't for everyone and people shouldn't be made to feel bad about their personal choices ! It isn't always the panacea some people think which in turn can leave them feeling let down . :-\

Hurdity

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2017, 06:26:31 PM »

I really think hrt is NOT for some people and quite frankly I don't think it benefits anyone by scaring them into thinking if you don't take hrt it will damage your heart and bones. While i totally understand it works really well for some we are NOT all the same and we are not failures because we 'gave up' on hrt.

Hi there - I don't think anyone is being scared into thinking women will automatically be damaged health-wise if they don't take HRT. Taking HRT for current symptoms (which might be temporary) though is a different issue than taking it for long-term health. However those of us who point this out (the health protection benefits of HRT) do so because it is the RECOMMENDED course of action by the medical profession based on the evidence. Not to say EVERYONE will be negatively affected but the risk is greater for younger women going through menopause before the average age. Of course it is a personal choice but one that should be made in full position of the available evidence and of course also taking into account your own personal circumstances - so for example making sure that if you look at family history  re chances of osteoporosis, heart disease etc), and undergo extra tests if necessary at regular intervals to re-assess and to help you with your decision.

Hurdity x

Hurdity

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2017, 08:02:36 PM »

PS I also meant to say - (I had to go and eat so posted that before I'd finished!) that no woman should ever feel a failure if she has to come off HRT because it hasn't worked, and if she really wanted to go on it and stay on it... it is the medical profession that should be supporting and helping women to find the right treatment that works for them, and if it doesn't then they have  BEEN failed rather than have failed themselves if you get me.....? Also just because it doesn't work for you at one stage ( eg almost before peri-menopause - doesn't mean it's not going to work a bit later - and I think again, doctors should be aware that it is worth trying again later in the menopausal transition.

The other thing to remember is that the discussion about early menopause is just that - early menopause, not early peri-menopause since the whole process takes several years so for some women it might well be too early in terms of whether HRT works or not ie possibly starting it well before oestrogen levels have fallen. If your cycle has only just started to lengthen at say 43 and you're having periods every say 5 weeks - doesn't mean that your health may be at risk if you don't start HRT immediately. However it is important to be aware that you may be heading for an early menopause. This is different from the symptoms aspect since some women experience symptoms like flushes and sweats at a very early stage even before oestrogen levels have fallen.

Minefield innit?! Hope that's not too garbled!

yriches65 - so sorry to hear your doc isn't even thinking about bone density but if it were me I would ask for this to be looked at for peace of mind - not to be alarming, just sensible given your history. I hope you manage to find a treatment that you want to take that works for you :)

Hurdity x

paisley

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2017, 08:25:59 AM »

I agree if HRT works for women then that is great & should be supported by the doctors. I just personally wish that for me & other women there was more help if HRT doesn't work. As I say I tried HRT in perimenopause, it didn't work. Had a hysterectomy & tried every HRT available & still didn't work. All the doctors will do is throw ADs at you. I tried a couple of those & felt worse & so gave up. I feel let down & unsupported by the doctors even private ones. I did feel guilty coming of HRT because I thought it was the one thing that would make me feel great. It took 8 awful years to realize for me it isn't that magic potion & yes I can do well without it. I just need to take supplements, change my lifestyle etc. It isn't easy but finally excepting that HRT won't fix me has helped. So as we say over & over we are all different. If it works great but don't feel bad if HRT doesn't work for you.

Yammy1

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2017, 08:27:40 AM »

Sorry hurdity if you took my post personally, but I do feel hrt is being 'pushed' on this site. Some of us just want support while we travel this menopause journey. And weather we choose to take hrt or not is and always should be a personal choice. I'm no expert but I had a hysterectomy over five years ago and I know my hormones are all over the place, but sharing how I feel with some lovely ladies on this site really is a great help. The comfort of sharing here and knowing I am not alone nor am I being judged is immeasurable. I have an understanding doctor with regular check ups to make sure All is well. I may change my mind down the line and try hrt again or go down the ad route. But  I know I am still sane underneath all these emotional turmoils and that the old me is still there waiting to reemerge better, healthier and wiser from this meno experience.

Bluebell

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2017, 01:27:22 PM »

Hi Rebel2, I went to the see the menopause Doctor yesterday and told her that I'd come off the HRT because it turned me into a anxious wreck giving me an irritable bowel and insomnia and doubting my sanity. She told me I must have reacted to the progesterone (which Hurdity had said it could be on a previous post).
She said I could try a transdermal patch 17B of oestradiol or gel and take a micronised progesterone tablet 100g at night. It would be Utrogesten she would give me which she said is very expensive and not every doctors surgery can prescribe it.
I told her I'm not so keen on taking a tablet because I read somewhere the risks are lesser if you avoid taking it internally.
I think by this time she was losing the will to live. 😬
Anyway, she told me she was going to a conference on Thursday and she will discuss with everyone there if I can take the Utrogesten in the form of a vaginal pessary?
She's going to call me next Tuesday to let me know.
The thing is - the thought of trying another HRT is making me even more nervous.
Since coming off it the nightsweats and hot flushes are back again and the occasional palpitation.
If only things were straight forward. Carol. X

Yammy1

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2017, 06:57:47 AM »

HI Carol, just to say I didn't take progesterone as I've had a hysterectomy and I still got very anxious on estrogen only peach, even at a low dose. I hope your doctor is right and you find something that works for you.

Hurdity

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2017, 12:19:23 PM »

Sorry hurdity if you took my post personally, but I do feel hrt is being 'pushed' on this site. Some of us just want support while we travel this menopause journey. And weather we choose to take hrt or not is and always should be a personal choice. I'm no expert but I had a hysterectomy over five years ago and I know my hormones are all over the place, but sharing how I feel with some lovely ladies on this site really is a great help. The comfort of sharing here and knowing I am not alone nor am I being judged is immeasurable. I have an understanding doctor with regular check ups to make sure All is well. I may change my mind down the line and try hrt again or go down the ad route. But  I know I am still sane underneath all these emotional turmoils and that the old me is still there waiting to reemerge better, healthier and wiser from this meno experience.

Absolutely Yammy1 - no I didn't take it personally - but just wanted to respond to your comments as there are important issues at stake! As I said in my post - yes of course it's a personal decision but for many women their reasons not to take HRT are based on outdated information (also from their docs sometimes!) - mainly left-over from the now discredited WHI study which led to the widespread reduction in HRT use. "Pushed" is quite strong word to use - I mean this is a medical site run by one of the top NHS Gynaecologists and this is what they now recommend - so it's not surprising that it is recommended by some of us on the forum. Of course it's a personal decision but it's not the same as saying shall I wear jeans or not or something like that - because there is an evidential bias now in its favour. No-one should feel scared - but need to know what the current scientific or medical view is - and then of course are free to make their own decision.

On this thread it was entirely appropriate to inform the OP what would be recommended in her position - especially if her doctors had not pointed this out. Some of us are also trying to help and support women who find that HRT is not working well for them - either to give it time or to help them find another type.

I so agree that women want and need support on their journey - whatever that is - and there is a mix of information, advice, support and everything in between on here! Those who don't want/need the information need not read it and may choose to give and share the comfort and support that as you mention is so valuable, in a non-judgmental way. I am so pleased that you have gained benefit and support from this forum Yammy1!!

How are you feeling now yriches65?

Hurdity x
Pages: 1 [2]