Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Surgical menopause  (Read 2068 times)

Carolinehunter

Surgical menopause
« on: October 15, 2017, 08:01:02 PM »

Hi all. I'm very new to all this.
I'm waiting on my date to go in for tvh and removal of remaining ovary. Please please is there any positive stories of the surgical menopause. I'm absolutely terrified of what might come and need to know if any of you ladies haven't found it to bad.
My friend keep telling me to stay off the internet as people only post about the horrible things. Pleas help I'm so anxious. Caroline 45 and not premenopausal that I'm aware of.

Taz2

Re: Surgical menopause
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 08:55:18 PM »

Everyone is different but hopefully you've discussed HRT options? It may take a while to find the best one for you but it's worth persevering.

Taz xx

Carolinehunter

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 09:36:10 PM »

No one has discussed anything with me, my consultant said I needed a hysterectomy and that would put me in to menopause but we can give u HRT to sort that and that was it. I was so naive about it all. I thought you got a few hot flashes and they gave you HRT and that was you sorted. Just need to hearsome positive experiences.

Annie0710

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 09:57:23 PM »

There'll be lots of success stories for sure, but those women rarely join forums as they don't need advice or support

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 10:39:43 PM »

Hi Caroline - have you joined the Hysterectomy Association UK forum? I'm sure you will get lots of support on there as well as from us. I found them to be really helpful when I was waiting for my op. This is the Surgical Menopause thread https://forums.hysterectomy-association.org.uk/forums/forum/managing-the-menopause/surgical-menopause/

Taz x

walkingthedog

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 07:56:18 AM »

Hi carolinehunter
I had total hysterectomy in March and I can honestly say it was the best thing for me I have no regrets but obviously everyone is different. It took awhile to find the correct dose of estrogen but tats settled now. Try not to worry xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 04:09:48 PM »

Consultants get more and more useless at passing on information, HRT will solve that - yeah right!  You should have had a specific Nurse to discuss your options prior to Surgical intervention  :bang:

Do as Taz suggests and hop over to Hysterctomy Association ........ browse here, make notes.  List your symptoms as well as keeping a food/mood/symptom diary may be of use too.

:welcomemm:

Carolinehunter

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 07:51:35 PM »

Had an appointment with my gp who is fantastic.
He had suggested I go back and see my consultant before surgery (still no date but told beginning of Nov) as I have so many questions I need answers. As I have a dermoid cyst (size of a large grapefruit) and I'm not in any pain he suggested asking about “watchful waiting “ does anyone have any experience of this?
I'm not sure if they would even do this or not but now I'm worried what to do for the best if this is offered. I have a few family events plus a wedding in December, my heart is telling me to postpone the op if possible til at least January but my head is saying just get it over and done with. HELP !

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 12:43:32 PM »

Yep - FinL had a watch and wait situation with his aortic aneurysm.  It gives the patient time to come to terms with the pros and cons of surgical intervention.

I have altered my BB in recent years from 40mg to 20mg x 2; 'not the usual way it's prescribed' said my GP at my annual med up-date but as I said, it is working in that the headaches are less.  It suited me well until 2 weeks ago when I dropped to 20mg with breakfast, to avoid the ears morning headaches.  It is so Trial and Error getting 'it' right  :bang:

Why do you require surgery?  Think about why you went to your GP initially and decide if you feel worse, having waited this long?  Take a list to the Consultant too.  Let us know how you get on  ;)

Don't feel pushed into anything. Even if it's 'better out than in', if it isn't Life threatening in that you need instant admission, you are entitled to feel well when you decide to do or not what has been suggested !

In 1991 I had a vaginal polyp that bled on contact which my [private] Gynae told me required removal.  Soon.  I asked if he was looking for another holiday if there wasn't any danger to my general health.  He insisted that I made a hospital appt. which I cancelled later.  The polyp disappeared at peri .......... sorry, I digressed  ::)

xx