Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hot Flushes 3 Years After Menopause Started  (Read 4084 times)

Lynne888

Re: Hot Flushes 3 Years After Menopause Started
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2017, 08:46:25 AM »

Thanks for your informed reply Hurdity. I've got an appointment with my GP on Friday and I'm going to ask about HRT. I don't know what I was checked for when I had the blood test a few weeks ago.  I know it was diabetes and folic acid (no doubt a few more) but there could be some tests that weren't done so I may have to start there I guess.  I've clearly got a folic acid deficiency but I must have something else going on with it too.  The tingling in both hands I got with the folic acid deficiency before is not going away this time though. Your explanation of why I would start getting sweats 3 years on makes sense. I seem to have all the classic symptoms and having had them previously on a very mild level, they do seem to follow the same pattern.  Thanks again for the advice!

Mini1

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2017, 09:13:45 AM »

Hi Lynne88
I'm at the doctors on Friday too so I hope we both get some answers and something to help. X

Hurdity

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2017, 04:21:20 PM »

Good luck with your appointment Lynne888 and let us know how you get on - also to you Mini1! :)

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2017, 06:26:57 PM »

:-\ ............

Lynne888

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2017, 10:46:21 PM »

Thanks Hurdity.. will keep you posted. I DO wonder if they will give me HRT after being diagnosed with cancer..not sure what the procedure is but I'll soon find out!

Hurdity

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2017, 06:23:06 PM »

Hi again Lynne888 -  I had forgotten that you had had cancer -  so very sorry that I hadn't remembered your history  :(. This might make a difference to being given HRT depending on what type of cancer it was? I do hope you are well now, apart from the flushes and sporadic tingling?

Hurdity x

Lynne888

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2017, 09:14:07 PM »

Thanks Hurdity. It was bowel cancer... I have to go back in February and then again in April for all the scans and another colonoscopy.  If I knew for sure all of this was menopause, I could live with it but of course I keep thinking it's the cancer coming back, I just can't help myself!  Don't apologise for not remembering! There are so many people on here we couldn't possibly remember everyones medical history!

Hurdity

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2017, 04:39:41 PM »

I do remember now - there was a long thread about your investigations and how long it took for the docs to treat you seriously. We were all rooting for you! I don't think that this would be a contra-indication for HRT - nothing is mentioned in the 2016 recommendations on HRT, only for the gynaecological cancers.

I would want to follow up on the tingling though - but if it is part of the Folic acid deficiency presumably this will resolve? I completely understand how worried you must be and I certainly would be in your position - by that I don't mean you are right to worry - but that it is only natural after what you have been through, and from what I recall especially due to the medical profession.

Hurdity x

Lynne888

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2017, 05:17:01 PM »

Didn't do great seeing my GP. She didn't feel 2 weeks on the folic acid was enough to settle everything down so I felt a bit stupid going to be honest.  I mentioned the hot sweats but I hadn't had any since Monday - well, not strictly true, I'd had about 1 a day but compared to how it had been this was nothing to even speak about. I know that folic acid is often prescribed for women with hot sweats too so maybe it is all just starting to kick in.  I haven't been so good today though, I've been busier and so have had a number of sweats.. seems to be the way it goes for me. 

I'm going to have to give it a good few months I think before I dare to go back!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2017, 09:53:30 PM »

Sometimes the medical profession do not explain how meds etc. work, I have spent hours explaining to patients because the Consultants/Housemen didn't explain: they knew but didn't think to pass on the info.  >:(.  So don't feel stupid.  If ever I need to go back I start with "I wasn't listening enough last time can we go over X, Y, Z again".  If your GP didn't explain how long folic acid takes to kick in, then going back to ask shouldn't be a problem  ;)

Hurdity

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2017, 07:36:48 PM »

Don't worry about what they think of you! If you are worried before a few months have elapsed and the sweats have not resolved then do go and visit the doc again. In your position with your history I would want reassurance and the GP should take that into account! Hope you are feeling better today :)

Hurdity x
Pages: 1 [2]