Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: M.E/fibromyalgia and menopause  (Read 1801 times)

Ang25

M.E/fibromyalgia and menopause
« on: October 11, 2017, 11:53:14 AM »

Hi, I'm Ang and I'm 48.  I've been perimenopausal for the last 2/3 years but was also diagnosed with M.E (CFS) and fibromyalgia 7 years ago after a nasty viral infection.  My last period was in February and I'd only had 3 in the previous year.  I was prescribed Clonidine about 6 weeks ago and have had a massive decline in my health within that time.  I've no idea whether it's ‘just' a flare, or has something to do with the medication.  I've been back to Docs today and saw a lovely new doc who herself has fibro which is a relief in itself as my previous doc told me he didn't believe in M.E!  I just would like to know if any of you menopausal ladies who are also fibro/M.E sufferers are having similar flares since entering the menopause.  Prior to about a year ago I was managing quite well, was in a recovery period and going to the gym 3/4 times a week.  It just seems like my hormones are playing havoc on my body.  Currently in a horrible relapse, feel nauseous, spaced out with brain fog, headaches, sore throat, swollen glands and a lump in my throat.  Keep feeling like I might pass out with very little energy.  This group was recommended by a fellow M.E sufferer so I'm hoping I'm not alone.  My new doc has taken me off Clonidine and prescribed fluoxetine 20mg once a day instead to help with sweats, flushes and mood swings. Fed up!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: M.E/fibromyalgia and menopause
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 12:08:15 PM »

Now that you have a sympathetic GP you are half-way there.

If you put fibromyalgia into the search box on here you'll see who else is suffering.  Have a browse round.  Also do look at the Daisy web-site, details above, for early menopause ladies.

I bounced a few appropriate threads for you to read.  Make notes ;-)

« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 12:10:26 PM by CLKD »

Ang25

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 12:10:14 PM »

I should also add that last June my FSH levels were tested in hospital after a few fainting bouts and came back really high as though i was already through the menopause(?) but at the time I was still having periods albeit very irregular.  This is around when my downward spiral in my health started.  I'm due to get married in June next year so would love to see an improvement just so I can enjoy my wedding and honeymoon (if I can get back to work to pay for my honeymoon!)

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 11:07:46 PM »

Hi Ang - welcome to the forum.

Is there a reason why your doc has prescribed an anti depressant rather than HRT to combat your flushes etc? I have fibro and found that symptoms did increase with peri menopause but HRT sorted it out for me and, as long as I pace myself, the fibro is no longer such a big problem.

Taz x

Ang25

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 09:49:36 AM »

Hi , I suffer with retinol migraines so doc won't prescribe HRT due to risk of stroke.  I'm hoping my flare is just a reaction to the clonidine.  I normally manage my M.E/fibro really well.  Doc said fluoxetine is used in low doses to combat sweats and at this stage I'm willing to give anything a go to try and recover enough to return to work.

Butterfly22

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 09:59:47 AM »

Hi I have had ME and menopause come on at the same time 19 yrs ago so it's hard for me to no what's what although I no a lot of my symptoms like extreme fatigue, aching joints, muscles, sensetivity to food/chemicals, foggy head, are from ME. Xxx