Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: HRT Clinic Advise Hot Flushes/Nite Sweats caused by High Estrogen??  (Read 1747 times)

angela27

Hi, i am on Femoston 2/10 and have had a return of symptoms, hot flushes, night sweats, mood is starting to dip along with being irritable. Spoke with the hrt clinic y'day they said the flushes/night sweats are probably caused by high estrogen, my own hormones kicking in. I thought the flushes/night sweats were caused by low estrogen?

I was hoping to try the gel but the options i was given was carry on until the end of November when 4 cycles will be completed or stop hrt altogether. I dont want to stop as i cant afford for the anxious and crying to come back again.

I was wondering if i could take my tablet on alternate days?, hoping to lower estrogen and eliminate the flushes/night sweats and stop my mood going on in a downward spiral?

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.

Milamam

Re: HRT Clinic Advise Hot Flushes/Nite Sweats caused by High Estrogen??
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 10:17:33 AM »

Hi Angela,
I would try to cut my tablet in half for a few days and see if there is a difference. If there is a difference in your symptoms, I would ask for Femoston  1/10 which is a lower dose . It is all a trial
and  error, as it has been said by many on this site.

I was on Femoston 2/10 for about 3 years (stopped now) , but when I felt estrogen was too high, I would take a half tablet for a while and it usually settled all unpleasant symptoms.

Let us know how you go on!
Milamam

dahliagirl

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 11:48:16 AM »

I had night sweats for years on the Pill.  It got really bad in the last 4 years when I seemed to start perimenopause.  It was odd, because you would expect this to happen on the week off when your hormones hit the floor.

The only explanation I could find is that progestogen raises your basal body temperature and that maybe this pushed it into the zone where it is hard to regulate your temperature when you are menopausal?????

Does it happen more on the progestogen weeks?  If you want to try and follow your temperature, you need to take it first thing in the morning when you wake, before you do anything or move.  This gets difficult if you do not sleep well ;)

angela27

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 05:42:31 PM »

Thank you for your replies. Think i get more flushes etc on the prog part.

Milamam...have cut my tablet in half tonight see if it helps flushes, hoping it might help the low mood that has started if it too is caused by high estrogen?

Can i ask if you cut your tablets in half was it ok to do this on the combi tablet or did you only do it with the estrogen only tablets?

Milamam

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 06:12:02 PM »

Hi -
I did it on all tablets to decrease the estrogen. I did this for almost two months before stopping altogether. Mentioned to my gynea and he said although not licensed this way, if I feel fine then continue. Where I live, we dont have Femoston 1/10. Otherwise I would have switched to it after the two months. I loved Femoston, great HRT, suited me so well! But was a high dose for me at the time.

Good luck and I hope you will see a difference by tomorrow! Let us know!

Milamam

angela27

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 09:19:21 AM »

Hi Milamam, no changes to hot flushes or night sweats as of yet though its only been 1 tablet. Could i ask you if i am reducing my oestrogen tablet but then say take the full combi tablet is the progesterone not going to be too high for the amount of oestrogen ive taken or does it not matter?

Were you still having menopausal symptoms when you reduced your tablet and they eased?, just that you said you came off it.

My big worry is that in reducing the tablet the anxious and crying would come back which is why my hrt was increased in the first place. Wont know unless i give it a go.

Thanks for any reply.

Milamam

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 11:03:54 AM »

Hi Angela,
I was haveng a tight chest, breathlessness and jittery feelings before I reduced to half tablet. These went away within two days from reduction so it was clearly high estrogen for me.

I stopped two months later just to see how I feel without anything (kept low dose AD though which I was taking alongside). For six months afterwards I had no symptoms, high energy, great mood. Things deteriorated probably on month 7 onward from stopping, but I am still trying to paddle on without HRT. I don't think it will be for long - I now have very low mood and motivation, night sweats and occasional hot flush in the mornings, insomnia around ovulation and during period, tearfulness, dread and fear. I am 46 now and started Femoston at 43.

I think I'll reconsider soon and start again but definitely will try a lower dose - for me anyway.

I doubt you will have any return of symptoms that soon even if you take 1month of the lower dose. I was cutting the combined pills in half too because they also contain the same amount of estrogen (2mg) and I was trying to lower that.

My advice would be to see how you go on for a few days, take notes in a calendar , and if no change then ask for a different type of HRT. I know changes with pills are slower to notice than changes from patch or gel for example, due to rate of absorbtion.

Good luck !

Milamam

angela27

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 09:25:11 AM »

Hi Milamam, thank you so much for your replies and advice, i do keep a diary to try and see any patterns going on. I'll continue with half a tablet for a bit and see how i go.

I hope if you start another hrt it works well for you and you start to get some relief from all of the horrible symptoms that have returned for you.

All the best, take care.