Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Help needed please  (Read 1265 times)

Mrsmuzzy2210

Help needed please
« on: October 09, 2017, 05:56:33 PM »

Hi everyone.... I'm 39 in January and in a bit of a crazy place at the moment.... 3yrs ago I had the marina coil fitted after I had my 3rd child... prior to the coil I had always had ridiculous  periods and PMT.. always extremely heavy from start to finish for a full 8 days!!! So the coil was wonderful after a few month of spotting, my periods are now literally 1day and nothing more than spotting.... that said they are so irregular, anything from 9 weeks to 3weeks apart... BUT....
For the past 6mths something has changed in me.... I'm so erratically  moody... happy one min and crying the next.... I am suffering with panic attacks  that I have only every had mildly during my first pregnancy nearly 16 yrs ago.... now they happen all the time.... I can't seem to cope with the stress in my life like I used to... I just seem to be not handling things very well at all with is all so out of character for me... I have also been having hot flushes.... my sleep is always interrupted with either needing a wee or feeling too hot.... im really tired all the time... and basically just feel so strange and really not like me... in usually a really upbeat, positive person and for the last  6mths have felt the total opposite....
I told my mum and she suggest I went to the doc as all of my symptoms  were the same as hers when she went into early menopause at 37 (I'm almost 39)... so went.... had blood tests to check thyroid and FSH level.... when the results came back doc said my levels did not indicate menopause, I asked what my levels were and she wouldnt tell me,  she just  said they didn't indicate it and brush it off.... I then said should I have my coil out to get a more accurate  reading and she  said no.... I then asked why she thought  i was feeling the way I was and what all my symptoms  could be and she just said she was going to treat me for anxiety and stress and give me a course of sertraline....
I also got my period the day after the blood test (not sure if that could affect   the result)...
Im really confused as I'm not convinced that all my symptoms  are not hormone  related and I felt like my doc was quick to pass it off as anxiety and stress... Any advice or similar experiences  would be greatly appreciated  xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Help needed please
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 06:15:33 PM »

Of course you are confused!  You have symptoms which indicate that this is hormonal.  Maybe have a look-see at the Daisy web-site, a place to ask questions about 'early' symptoms.  GPs still don't realise that early menopause can happen at any age.  Some girls have 1 or 2 bleeds then nowt, others stop periods in their 30s/40s ......

If your Mum had an early menopause, it stands to reason that there may be a genetic input too!  Browse round, make notes.

Anxiety, depression, dryness, stress can be triggered by hormones!

Mrsmuzzy2210

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 06:27:03 PM »

Thank u CLKD.... ill take a look  xx

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 07:54:25 PM »

Let us know how you get on!

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 01:28:39 PM »

Hello Mrsmuzzy and welcome to the forum.

I'm sure one of the expert ladies will be along shortly but I have to say that I am amazed at your doctor's diagnosis. Just about the only thing I knew about the menopause before it happened to me was that the date of onset can run in families and therefore there is a genetic element to it. When discussing my situation the first thing my GP wanted to know was my mother's age when her meno started and there is plenty of information on this and other sites demonstrating the link! In addition your description of your emotional state appears pretty much word for word in my trusty meno book!

I'm sure the other ladies will agree that you are too young to be low on oestrogen and need HRT so finding a more competent doctor is a must.

Wishing you well and keep posting.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 03:08:48 PM »

:-\. 'expert ladies'  :-\

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 04:51:13 PM »

Hi Mrsmuzzy2210

:welcomemm:

How very dare the doctor fob you off like that!

I completely agree with Kathleen!

The first thing is - if you are likely to be peri-menopausal,. at your young age the doctor should take two blood tests 4-6 weeks apart to determine FSH levels - because they vary with your cycle. As Kathleen said, if your mother had an early menopause then you might well do too. In the absence of a proper cycle due to the Mirena then if you are experiencing symptoms you describe including hot flushes, then menopause is a strong possibility.

Secondly you have a right to see all your blood tests results so telephone the receptionist and ask for a print-out (you might have to pay for copies but ideally not).  It's your body FFS! Your doc should not withhold this information from you. Where I live in SW England all medical information is now online at our practice and you just register for a log-in and just look at them yourself.

The first line of treatment for menopausal symptoms (including hormonal anxiety, low mood etc) is HRT - NOT anti-depressants - and especially with no particular reason other than hormones to be feeling like this. The NICE Guidelines (Nov 2015) recommend this.

Personally I would not take the sertraline - at least not in the first instance as your doc is wrong in prescribing this initially before giving you another blood test as above, and as you say the feelings have come out of the blue and out of character for you. This is very typical of peri-menopause - women become less able to cope with ordinary stresses and strains of life due to the hormonal surges - but doesn't mean they are depressed nor that this needs medicating with ADs! At your young age I suggest you really do need to get the hormone issue diagnosed and sorted before thinking about anything else - and especially if you do need HRT (which is very likely due to your age - if an early menopause is looming) you want to be able to arrive at a dose which suits you without other meds muddying the waters.

Do read around as much as you can as CLKD suggests -  there is a lot of info on this website! If you need any more ideas then please ask and we will try to help...

Here's an article on peri-menopause to get you started:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/magazine/pdf/Article%20-%20Perils%20of%20the%20Perimenopause.pdf

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x