Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Hrt and nausea  (Read 4231 times)

Peafizz

Hrt and nausea
« on: September 29, 2017, 12:57:17 PM »

Hi, I haven't had periods for coming up to three years. Started everol conti patches beginning of January for flushes, anxiety, mood swings, insomnia. Slept better, stopped my migraines and mood swings.  No flushes.  Still anxious. Mid April I started with nausea, referred to gastroenterologist as was  taking omeprazole at time,  had blood tests and endoscope but everything normal. My headaches are starting again too. I have lost nearly 1.5 stone in weight as I am just struggling to eat. Gp given me anti sickness pills to help but can only take 1 not 2 as 2 knock me out and I am having enough trouble getting through the day! I read a lot of people having nausea in perimenopause, is there anyone else experiencing nausea with patches and have any advice? I go back to Gp in 2 weeks to check my weight and want to arm myself with info. 😏

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hrt and nausea
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 02:51:53 PM »

It's awful ain't it!  HORMONES  >:(  ::)

Have you tried adding ginger to your diet, it's supposedly good for nausea?

Peafizz

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 03:29:27 PM »

Hi CLKD, at the moment I am eating a banana when I can face eating, then mainly living on rice crispies and cream crackers with the odd piece of plain chicken thrown in and avocado. Bought some root ginger to make ginger tea but not got round to making it.  ::)I do drink lots of peppermint tea tho!

Snoooze

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 03:47:45 PM »

I don't take HRT but I experience the nausea more towards the end of my cycle when my period is due. It's awful and reminds me of the nausea I experienced in pregnancy. I was never sick with that, just the same awful feeling I have now of feeling sick.

I too drink lots of peppermint tea as well but always have so can't say whether it helps with the nausea. I too eat bananas and they help slightly. My nausea only seems to last 2 or 3 days of my cycle.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 05:44:16 PM »

Hi Peafizz

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear you are feeling rough. If you haven't had periods for 3 years and this wasn't due to the mini pill or the Mirena then you are post-menopause, not peri-menopausal. As you are taking continuous progestogen (part of the Evorel conti) - this could account for your headaches - but not sure about the nausea. Although this is common in peri-menopause it is usually due to sudden large increases in oestrogen ( and maybe progesterone?) like in morning sickness of pregnancy - but Evorel conti is a medium dose HRT so not sure why you might be feeling like this so long after you reached menopause? However if you've had investigations (re nausea) and all is OK otherwise then I presume it could be hormonal as you say?

If you are post-menopause ( ie periods stopped naturally) then it may be that you would benefit from taking HRT on a cycle - which means having a withdrawal bleed every 4 weeks. I know this may seem a drag when you haven't had them but might be a better option than feeling nauseous and headachey all the time. At least it could be worth a try. There are two combi patches - Evorel sequi and Femseven, but also there is the option of oestrogen patches with separate progesterone if you are particularly sensitive to some of these. Femseven has the same type in as the mirena if you've ever had one?

Hope this helps.

Hurdity x

Peafizz

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 08:43:43 PM »

Thank you Hurdity for your feedback, have to admit when you mentioned going back to bleeding I took a very deep breath!! Don't fancy that thought at all!! My headaches did stop when I started hrt and I got to sleep better but those are getting worse again, does the body get used to a drug that quickly and would going to a higher dose be of benefit do you think?

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 06:26:41 PM »

Hi again - you haven't said how old you are - in terms of whether you would benefit or not from a much higher dose. Also the nausea may be an issue with higher oestrogen but progesterone can cause this too?  Are you also post-menopause ie no natural periods for 3 years and no coil/mini pill etc?  Not sure what you mean about the body getting used to the drug?  Do you mean you are surprised that HRT worked initially and then didn't?  This happened with me when I stopped HRT for 3 months ( 6 years ago now). When I re-started (age 57) the doc suggested a lower dose (this being the old recommendation - lowest possible dose for shortest possible time) of 25 mcg (when I was on 50 mcg previously). This worked for a while - flushes and sweats abated - but then they began to creep back and I knew that I needed the 50 mcg to eliminate them completely, so increased again. Personally I still think you would be better off trying a cycle for a while - at least to see if you can distinguish between oestrogen only effects and any changes when you add the progestogen (and then withdraw from it). Sorry bit of a ramble...just thinking aloud here!

Hurdity x

Peafizz

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 08:59:27 PM »

Thank you Hurdity. I am 53 tomorrow!! I had the mirena coil for 9years during which I continued to have periods, it never stopped them.  The periods started going awol 4 years ago and then stopped 3 years ago. I had it removed in August (the last one was 5 years old, the first one was replaced after 3 and a bit years as I was getting breakthrough periods) I had no bleeding after it was removed in August. The doctor offered me pessaries or gel for any vaginal dryness but I have to say that is not a problem, I am the opposite!! It is interesting reading you thinking aloud!!

Thank you x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 03:15:55 PM »

:cake:  happy birthday!   :welcomemm:

:party09:

Peafizz

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 08:33:25 PM »

Thank you CLKD, that's a lovely post!

vickypk

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 09:05:08 PM »

Hi Peafizz
I am using Evorel conti patches, been using them for over 2 years.  Before I started HRT I used to get bad migraines and the HRT helped with that, rarely get a headache these days.  I don't get any sickness with them.
Hope you feel better.
xx