Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Has my GP worried me uneccessarily ??  (Read 3075 times)

Nursekate

Has my GP worried me uneccessarily ??
« on: October 04, 2017, 11:29:38 AM »

Hi , I'm new to this forum and only just discovered it . I have been going through the menopause for nearly 2 years now . No periods but the flushes and no sleeping was gettingto me so I started taking the dual HRT mid August . The first week was awful as my mood was very low but then my flushes stopped and things improved . I went for a medication review and mentioned I'd had some spotting and my gp told me to stop taking the hrt immediately and said she would refer me to a gynaecologist because she was concerned about endometrial cancer ! She would make sure I was seen within 2 weeks . Although I was pleased she acted so quickly , she's scared the hell out of me and now I'm left waiting for my appointment .My friends are saying don't worry but of course I am . I would be grateful for any advice .

Cassie

Re: Has my GP worried me uneccessarily ??
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 12:05:26 PM »

Spotting is perfectly normal when starting HRT I do not think you should stress, but if they offer a scan, why not...at least you can continue then with the HRT, knowing that all is well but do not panic, your GP is wrong to upset you like this.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 01:59:00 PM »

These GPs have no bedside manner  :bang: :bang: :bang:  It is usually advised that if a woman has not had a bleed for about 2 years then if she does, the lining of the womb should be measured by a scan.  2 weeks is the time that the appt. should be arranged ..... so your GP is following guidelines. 

Of course you are worrying, something that once the results are back you need to tell your GP!  Browse round, join in ...... make notes ;-)

Nursekate

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 02:18:10 PM »

Thank you both for your replies . I guess I will just have to wait for the scan and pray everything is ok . 😊

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 02:32:51 PM »

R U able to take a cancellation?  If so ring the Dept. to tell them that, should someone not turn up, that you can go along. 

Nursekate

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 02:54:45 PM »

CLKD ..... I work at the hospital so I can take a cancellation easily . Thanks for the help .

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 03:15:16 PM »

Oh a little knowledge and all that  ::) - maybe trot down to the Dept. and ask ;-)

liauq

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 03:53:15 PM »

Hi:
When I started to get spotting in between periods after 18 months on oestrogel/utrogestan, my GP referred me to a gynocologist, but with no scary chat! I was relieved as I had had polyps a decade ago.
I got a quick referral and the tests came back normal.
Don't be scared: I'm sure that my oestrogel leaflet said that spotting can happen in the early days and may just require some tweaking.The ultrasound was much better than a smear test and it's always nice to know everything's ok down below! ;D

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 06:10:01 PM »

Hi Nursekate.

When you say "dual HRT" do you mean continuous HRT where you take both the oestrogen and progesterone continuously? If so spotting and breakthrough bleeding is very common during the first six months and even longer sometimes. It is down as one of the side effects. Which HRT are you on?

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Nursekate

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 08:22:37 PM »

Hi , I'm on the Elleste duet conti so yes the continuous one . I was surprised at my GPS reaction but am taking her advice and stopped them .

I hope I will have an ultrasound and confirm all is ok fingers crossed .

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 10:31:30 PM »

It will be good to get it checked out but the patient information leaflet does state that it is a common (affecting up to one in ten people) side effect so hopefully this is all it is https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/20967  Not all GP's are fully informed about the different effects of HRT. I had continuous bleeding on a conti HRT for six months and gave up and went back on to sequi as I at least knew when my bleeds were going to occur.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 11:36:14 AM »

Did U hot-foot to the Dept. yet  ;)

Hurdity

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2017, 07:30:59 PM »

Hi Nursekate

:welcomemm:

Just to clarify for anyone reading - the cut-off for investigation of post-menopausal bleeding is 12 months not two years as suggested earlier in this thread, so do not ignore any such bleeding and see the doctor if it occurs after this time (12 months).

The definition and possible causes are listed on this website (I've just discovered this page for the first time!):

Postmenopausal bleeding (PMB) is vaginal bleeding occurring after twelve months of having no bleeding, when the bleeding has stopped due to the menopause

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/postmenopausal-bleeding.php

You didn't say how long since your last natural period when you started the HRT in August but I presume from what you said that it has been at least 12 months - not sure if this is what you meant by going through the menopause for 2 years - ie whether you meant no periods for this time?

Actually you shouldn't need to stop the HRT pending the investigation anyway - although the advice UK wide is inconsistent - even within surgeries. I had PMB (spotting) while on cyclical HRT and one doc told me to stop HRT but I wrote to Dr Currie (through the £25 e-mail consultation) who said I didn't need to, so went to another doc who agreed I could keep on with it even while waiting for the investigation and while having the hysteroscopy and biopsy.

Let us know how you get on - but try not to worry - I'm sure all will be OK :)

Hurdity x

Nursekate

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2017, 06:58:32 AM »

There was no need to ring the department as I got my appointment through for Tuesday !!!
Previous to the HRT  I had no periods for nearly 2 years . I have one now and I have to say , I haven't missed them !! I know it's because I'm off the HRT now .

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2017, 03:12:59 PM »

Will you let us know?