Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: sequi patches  (Read 1100 times)

Samade

sequi patches
« on: October 04, 2017, 10:33:15 AM »

I am six weeks into the sequi patches so early days I guess. I'm only allowed half a patch as I'm a high risk with a history of DVT. I'm 50 and several years into peri. My main symptoms are night sweats but mostly mood issues and I'd happily keep the sweats if I could have relief from anxiety and low-ness. Up until about this time last year I was happy, no life issues fit and well bar the night sweats. Then suddenly I was plunged into doom and despair so I'm pretty sure this is hormonal. I was given citalopram at first due to my dvt history which has helped a bit and I'm still on it but after lengthy discussions and acceptance of a high risk with my meno consultant I have been allowed half a patch.
Now to my point/queston- I find the oestrogen only part the hardest I feel bloated and quite low, whereas the bit with the progesterone in better but no reduction in night sweats yet and mood not really any different. Does anyone think that its a case of six weeks just not long enough to tell if it works? or perhaps the dose is too small to make much of a difference anyway?
Congratulations if you got to my question without falling asleep ;D

Hurdity

Re: sequi patches
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 07:06:10 PM »

Hi Samade - no - I didn't fall asleep!! Thanks for the update.

However it is really difficult to know what to suggest given your circumstances re DVT history. It could well be that that dose is not sufficient to make a difference. Also interesting that you find the oestrogen only part the worst - opposite to many women!!  It is normal to feel rough on the first few days after changing from the combi part to the oestrogen only - because this is the progesterone withdrawal phase - and exactly what you might experience pre-menstrually before your usual bleed (before HRT).  If you feel much better say a week into the oestrogen only patches - then this could be the explanation.

You probably should notice a difference ( in sweats and flushes at least) after 6 weeks although perhaps it will take a bit longer to sort out mood etc on a cyclical regime? Also depends on what your cycle was doing before going onto HRT - if your cycle is still strong - ie periods still pretty frequent, as you are on a low dose - your cycle could well kick in and influence your moods.

Sorry I'm waffling a bit....I think it's still worth taking in terms of adding a bit of extra oestrogen given your age and especially if you are near menopause but perhaps if you are feeling no better after another few weeks could you persuade your consultant to let you try a different type ( I presume you are on Femseven or Evorel?).

Hurdity x

Samade

Re: sequi patches
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 08:02:59 AM »

yes I'm on evorel sequi. My periods are very irregular but can be anything between 2 and 7 weeks apart. I suspect the patches and my own cycle are very out of sync but with their irregularity I had to just start the patches whenever. No bleed yet from the patches but not too worried about that.
I have an appt with my consultant in January so unless something drastic happens I'll give it until then, I have a bit of a history of drugs taking a long time to work. I guess at some point I'll have to think about the risk benefit conundrum.