Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: HRT or anti-depressants?  (Read 1797 times)

SharonG

HRT or anti-depressants?
« on: September 28, 2017, 07:33:40 PM »

Hi Everyone, what an absolute relief to find this site :)

I'm a new member and I have a question (that has likely been answered 1000's of times - sorry) about a recent experience with my GP regarding HRT.

Brief background: Periods stopped 2 and 1/2 years ago (age 47). No real bad symptoms at first.  Hot flushes and night sweats started with a vengeance after 6 months, both have eased off recently. Had a heart related episode (not heart attack) in the summer just gone which resulted in being prescribed blood pressure meds and aspirin.  Also on anti-depressants (for at least 3 years). Lately (last 2 or 3 months) finding myself very scatter-brained, forgetful, fuzzy-headed, etc. But the worse thing is the mood swings. I can go from full on rage to sobbing like a baby within minutes, several times a day. I had reached the stage where I couldn't cope with it any more, so I went to see my GP. I explained the horrific mood swings and how they were getting worse and happening daily. I asked about HRT but he sort of brushed that off and doubled my dose of anti-depressants. He said that would be better for the mood swings as HRT would only address the flushes and night sweats. Is this usual? Has anyone else had the same experience?

I don't know whether to continue with the increased anti-depressants for a few months and see what happens, or go and see another GP about HRT. Any advice would be most welcome and very, very appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help :)
Sharon

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT or anti-depressants?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 07:40:50 PM »

This has been answered in various forms on here but don't worry about that - think back to why you began the ADs.  I have to take a low maintenance dose for Life due to organic and clinical depression.  My pre-menstrual depression was totally different.  I also had rages at times, I would be OK for 3 weeks then something that I had coped with would throw me into a tantrum  :-\

Do you keep a mood/food/symptom diary?  Charting where you are might give you an idea as to your ups and downs.

Personally I would continue with the higher doeseage AD until after C.mas [it being stressful for most of us], in the meantime read the green banner above - treatments - make notes.  You can then decide if the AD is easing symptoms over-all or whether you try HRT alongside. 

SharonG

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 08:11:52 PM »

Thank you CLKD :) I did think to keep a diary of what/when the symptoms occur but I never considered food, so thank you for that. I will read the suggested material (above) and see where that takes me. Thank you for taking the time to reply, it has eased my mind a lot :)

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 08:22:30 PM »

I am interested in the responses you get. I'm on HRT and I would say that in the last few weeks my mood swings have come back with a vengeance. I've started to think about whether anti-deps would be helpful. It's hard to know. I've just ordered 5HTP because that might help.

My understanding is that in menopause it's the hormonal transitions that cause the mood swings. Perhaps mine are swinging to the next stage, i don't know. but it's fucking horrible! you have my sympathies.

SharonG

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 08:38:01 PM »

Thank you. You have my sympathies too :) Being from the UK, I had to check what 5HTP is and found some info about interactions with AD drugs. ( http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-794-5-htp.aspx?activeingredientid=794 ).

I had also thought about taking something herbal to help with the symptoms, but whenever I find something, I can't take it because of the AD :(

PS Hope the link works, I'm new at this

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 12:36:23 PM »

Some people find herbals work until their hormones become up and down so any benefits are lost.  Also, some herbals should't be taken for long and may interact with other medications.  If they were reliable they would be available on the NHS.

Let us know how you get on SharonG.