Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vagifem problem  (Read 4001 times)

Nellie Noo

Vagifem problem
« on: September 26, 2017, 04:43:08 PM »

Hello ladies .. please could anyone advise if there are alternatives to vagifem. I suspect I am having a bit of a reaction to it . Itching and burning that wasn't there before I started using it . Although i must say, it has helped my bladder problems no end ! Just when things start looking up ... !!!!  :-\ thank you x

Hurdity

Re: Vagifem problem
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 05:47:59 PM »

Hi Nellie Noo

The other preparations are listed here:

There is estriol cream - two different preparations at different concentrations and with different additives (Estriol generic, and Ovestin). Also the Estring - a silicone ( or something!) ring which you insert and change every 3 months - give out a constant amount of estradiol daily.

They are all listed here:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/local.php

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 05:58:07 PM »

Sometimes patients are sensitive to the packaging or fillers - I have used Ovestin successfully.  Maybe have a chat with your Practice Nurse?

Nellie Noo

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 06:59:11 PM »

Thank you very much ladies ... still finding my way around this great website. Relieved to know there are alternatives ! Thank you x

dahliagirl

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 08:38:16 PM »

I found using a splodge of Multi-gyn actigel with it a help.  It balances your pH.  Stings a bit at first but strangely, it soothes.

I used it constantly for the first year, but now I just use it occasionally if I feel a bit iffy.

Joaniepat

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 10:20:51 PM »

Hi Nellie Noo. I have been using Ovestin both internally and externally for urethral issues and vulval soreness for about four months. It has worked quite well, but I started to get itching a couple of weeks ago, something I never used to get. I'll be seeing a gynaecologist tomorrow and hope she will switch me to Vagifem and the weaker estriol cream. Perhaps a change would be as good as a rest for both of us!

Alongside the estriol creams, a vaginal moisturiser can also help relieve the soreness. Sylk or one of the Yes products are the kindest. As dahliagirl says, Multi-Gyn Actigel is also a good idea, and can be mixed with a bit of the moisturiser to lessen the sting.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

JP

Nellie Noo

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 07:32:47 AM »

Can not thank you ladies enough ... so glad I found this site x

jessieblue

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 06:26:22 PM »

I had a reaction to both ovestin and estradiol cream.  I got all red and burny and it looked like it had been out in the sun!  I asked my practice nurse if I could try vagifem but she said it was hard to get hold of....so that was that!  I have recently seen a gyn and I have decided to go for the mona lisa touch laser treatment for my VA symptoms.  It will start next week and maybe after I can try some topical oestrogen which may be better tolerated, so I am told.  I hope they are right!

Nellie Noo

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 06:33:36 PM »

Hard to get hold of !!! ???:-\ :-\  gosh ! 
Va .... Who knew ???  I really didn't have a clue about all this ... seriously ...until I read of some of the posts on this site !  I was put on vagifem for bladder problems and it's been marvellous for that , but now I am wondering with all this burning and itching if it's the start of Va, or is it a reaction to the vagifem. Crikey !

Nellie Noo

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 06:37:57 PM »

By the way ...Good luck .. jessieblue x

jessieblue

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 07:53:49 PM »

Thank you!  I think it may be a reaction.  Ovestin gave me thrush really so it kind of got worse all by itsself.  I think mixing the actigel may be worth trying before giving up tho.  I didnt try that myself.  I was so fed up at the time because I had had utis and cystoscopy and thrush after strong antibiotics.  Then I thought the cream would be a miracle cure but after a few days I was cherry red and burning doen there.  It just seemed everything i did caused a problem but maybe because all was a bit sensitive.  I just want my old lady bits back because now I feel a bit better I may want to use them again! :P  Good luck to you too. xx

Joaniepat

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 08:37:39 PM »

I hope the MLT sorts things out for you, jessieblue, and that it all goes well. I'm sure you'll be able to use your lady bits again once you've got them in good fettle ;)

A bit gutted to hear that there might be supply problems with Vagifem, though. I have just been prescribed this for internal use, as the gynaecologist I saw today says it is better than Ovestin for bladder issues. The hospital pharmacy dispensed it ok today, so I hope things don't go belly-up later on :-\

It seems Ovestin might have given me thrush, too. Started itching a few days ago and have got a fluconazole capsule for it. The gynaecologist is still keen on Ovestin for external use, though.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on with the Mona Lisa.
JP xx

JaneinPen

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 09:05:20 PM »

Hi Nelli Noo.  I hope you can get something to calm the problem and still use the Vagifem. I too was prescribed it for continuous UTI's using it three times a week now. It has given me my life back.  No shortages here so far. Good luck with your research

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2017, 09:07:26 PM »

Do ring your local Pharamcies to see how 'difficult' it is to get the various prescriptions made up?  GPs should be aware of any shortages, often due to the NHS not wanting to pay the amounts asked so products go abroad to countries who will pay!

Joaniepat

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 09:10:34 PM »

Nellie Noo, I feel sure your bladder and vulval problems are related. My VA started the other way round, vulva first then bladder, but it is all down to the same thing, lack of oestrogen! The gynaecologist I saw today is keen on Ovestin for the external bits, so I hope you get to try it. It helps me  :)
Pages: [1] 2