Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Evorel sequi and hair loss  (Read 6014 times)

Jenc

• First Flush
Evorel sequi and hair loss
« on: September 26, 2017, 12:02:47 PM »

Hi everyone

I started on evorel sequi I think about three years ago following several months of constant flushes and waking at night. This worked within 4 days and I slept for hours. I have been happy on these and almost felt like my old self again.

One day I noticed that my hair was about half the thickness that it used to be, quite how I managed to miss this up until this point I don't know. Of course once you notice something like that you suddenly notice every time you lose more hair. I know in the past year or two I have had a couple of extreme stressful times where I admit I have lost the plot for a few weeks, so potentially it could be stress related.

I finally decided I would come off the patches and hope things would improve. I did this 3 weeks ago and was fine for about a week. However I am now back to the hot flushes again. I can cope with these during the day but am waking up about every hour during the night and feel totally drained. My husband's job pays most of our bills and he is under stress so I have left the bed to him now as he can't sleep with me constantly fidgeting. I am now on a fold up bed in the lounge which doesn't help the sleep situation!

I wanted patches because my mother and sister both have liver problems and I wanted as little to be processed by my liver in case there was a chance I could have a problem.

I have previously tried herbal remedies, tried cutting down caffeine etc. Does anybody have any suggestions of anything? I am happy to try another form of hrt as long as I don't lose any more of my hair!

I have still had an occasional spotting whilst on hrt but have no idea if I am officially in menopause and need both oestrogen and progesterone.

I would be grateful for any ideas. Am now going to have a nap as I can't get through a day without falling asleep, which is not easy on workdays 😀

Thanks - Jen

Annie0710

Re: Evorel sequi and hair loss
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 12:21:04 PM »

Why don't you go back on what was working for you ? There's 100's of reasons for hair loss in middle aged women, hormone/hereditary/ferritin/thyroid/vitamin deficiency.  See your gp for a full blood work up to discount obvious reasons x

Jenc

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 12:38:51 PM »

Hi Annie

I did see my GP about it a few months ago. I had my iron levels and thyroid checked and all was ok.

If I can't come up with anything else then I will end up going back on them. Am not coping brilliantly on so little sleep. X

Annie0710

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 01:33:01 PM »

For most women (me inc) the initial shedding is alarming and should settle , little consolation when you see your locks disappearing daily x

Jenc

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 01:45:33 PM »

Hopefully, although it has been quite a few months. It sounds like a minor vain thing it's only hair but when it is going does affect how you feel about yourself.

Thanks Annie

Annie0710

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 02:11:34 PM »

Oh no I totally get you.  Mine went on for about 18 months.  Using testosterone calmed it right down and helped a lot x

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 05:29:42 PM »

Hi Jenc

The other possibilities are to use Evorel 50 mcg patches with separate progesterone. There are only two available  - Provera and Progesterone itself (Utrogestan). According to the info on this website the progestogen in Provera is less related to testosterone than the one in Evorel sequi (norethisterone)  and progesterone itself is the least related to T.

Some women find the more T related the progestogen the greater their hair loss - but from what I've read, hair growth and loss is very complex and to some extent involves genetics - ie some women are more susceptible. You may find that if you take separate oestrogen and a progestogen, you could increase the oestrogen dose and that could improve things?

Also some find that progesterone itself is too sedating to take but you could be OK with it?

The different progestogens are listed here:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/to_progestogens.php

Hurdity x

Jenc

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 08:28:08 PM »

Thanks Hurdity

Most of my family have full heads of hair other than one great grandfather and I always had pretty thick hair. I will have a look at those alternatives and go see my GP.

Thank you x

hereandthere

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 08:15:07 PM »

Hi Jen C
Very late I know, but wondered if you had any success with your hair? I am on Evorel Sequi and suffering a lot of hair fall.   :(