Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Newbie saying hi ~ Hysterectomy in June now suffering  (Read 1816 times)

louby48

Newbie saying hi ~ Hysterectomy in June now suffering
« on: September 25, 2017, 07:20:01 PM »

Hello, new to the forum. I'm 48 and had a hysterectomy at the beginning of June, I retained my ovaries (much to the displeasure of my consultant) but I believe they are now failing as for the past 6 weeks or so I'm struggling.

I'm getting horrendous night sweats/flushes, they wake me up 4 - 5 times a night and I've started getting the odd one during the day too. I'm permanently exhausted and my joints are beginning to ache, particularly first thing in a morning.

I'm average weight, enjoy(ed) the gym 3 times a week and hill walking but I'm struggling to motivate myself to exercise just lately.

I'm off to see my GP on Wednesday to discuss HRT.

Salad

Re: Newbie saying hi ~ Hysterectomy in June now suffering
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 08:33:45 PM »

:welcomemm:

It's a really big operation to have and does take quite a while to get over - June wasn't that long ago  :)

I also chose to keep my ovaries when I had my hysterectomy. Seeing your GP sounds like a really good idea to discuss what's going on. It could be your ovaries are reacting to the surgery, such as being handled or disturbance to the blood or nerve supply. Another forum worth looking at for it's experience with hysterectomy is an American site called Hystersisters (hope I don't get told off for saying that  ;D )

Hopefully your GP will help  :foryou:

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 08:41:51 PM »

Hi louby48

It was a good six to nine months after my hysterectomy before I felt more like my old self so don't be surprised that you are not really back into exercising only three months after yours.

I agree that it is a good idea to talk to your GP about what might be going on and then discuss HRT.

As well as Hystersisters there is the UK Hysterectomy Association forum for help and advice although you may already be a member.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Annie0710

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 09:57:40 PM »

Hi Salad

My ovaries failed within months of my hysterectomy when I was 32.  Blood supply can accidentally get severed/compromised.  I've been on oestrogen since
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 01:09:21 AM by Annie0710 »

louby48

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 08:45:29 PM »

Thanks everyone for your advice.

I started exercising again 8 weeks after my operation at the beginning of
August. I was doing a spin and a Zumba class weekly  plus daily 30 minute walks. I felt great and really well. Enjoying the new found freedom of no bleeding.

But then all of a sudden the night sweats started and I started to feel differently.

I posted a lot on the Hysterectomy Association forum during the build up and after my op.

I don't really like Hystersisters site - although I have dipped into it at times.

I shall be interested to see what my GP suggests!

louby48

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 08:37:16 PM »

Well I saw my GP and he's prescribed Elleste solo, lowest dose to start with and he wants me to take them for 3 months.

Taken my first one today so we shall see. I woke up 5 times last night and feel so tired today. I give everything to my job and then by the time I get home I'm exhausted.

Annie0710

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 10:30:35 PM »

Elleste solo took every single symptom away with no side effects for 13 years until I reached natural peri then everything came crashing down plus more

I really hope they work for you.  I started on 1mg then after a couple of weeks went up to 2mg.   

louby48

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 08:52:00 PM »

Thanks, I'm hoping they work. I felt a bit woozy at work this afternoon. Bit odd, but it passed.

Fingers crossed. I want to get back to the gym.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 12:06:33 PM »

My Surgeon would have taken the ovaries  :-\ - to save going 'in' a second time.

Some ladies find that keeping a mood/symptom/food diary useful.

louby48

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 05:03:21 PM »

My consultant wanted to take my ovaries too. I didn't want to go into immediate menopause and was hoping it would have been a more gradual slide into it. I did read around  it quite a bit and looked at the pros and cons.

It appears that I'm well on my way to Menopause - if only I'd known!

I actually slept really well last night for the first time in weeks so am thinking I've responded well to the HRT.

Tonight will be interesting.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 09:42:33 PM »

It's so tiring ain't it!