Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Running and ostrogen depletion  (Read 2088 times)

Niamh

Running and ostrogen depletion
« on: August 31, 2017, 02:21:59 PM »

Hi

I'm wondering if there are any fellow runners or exercisers on here who use ostrogel or patches and find it depletes/impacts their ostrogen? Has anyone had any experience of this and had to change their dose to counteract this?

I know running can deplete ostrogen, I've not really noticed anything yet but I've just gone back to running after a long break and I wasn't on hrt previously when I ran. We aren't talking marathon here 😂but probably 3 runs a week about 30 mins a go but it'll like to build this up.

Thank you

Btw I'm nearly 43 and peri, take hrt more for pmt and use 2 pumps of gel a day at the mo
X

Hurdity

Re: Running and ostrogen depletion
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 05:54:31 PM »

Hi Niamh

Your post got missed - I guess there aren't many runners on HRT.  I do take some active exercise though and haven't come across that idea about oestrogen depletion? I mean when we use more energy through exercise, we use more of everything for our bodily functions - and therefore need more nutrients (ie through food!)  but hadn't come across the idea that oestrogen specifically is affected. Do you have any further information?

Personally I would just carry on and see how you feel generally - your oestrogen dose might need tweaking anyway irrespective of running?

Sorry - it's not an area I know anything about!

Hurdity x

shoppingqueen

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 06:34:23 PM »

Hi Niamh
I run a lot and haven't noticed it impacting on estrogen on those days- actually, if I'm feeling a bit jittery and have a spike in meno symptoms, I push myself to run and always feel better afterwards. I'm on Femoston tablets at the moment- not sure if this would have a different impact on transdermal absorption though? Like Hurdity, I've not heard of this. I hope it doesn't impact- I believe running has kept me sane at times 😃
SQ xxx

Samade

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 07:22:19 PM »

I hope not I run a lot  and have just started patches

weathergirl

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 06:30:55 PM »

I don't run (used to) but I work out extensively (cardio and weight lifting) and am very physically active.  I don't find that it affects my levels as the patch has worked the same for me ever since I started it, even through several times of being much less active.  I think the depletion would occur at really extensive levels - say if you're training for a half or full marathon. 

Niamh

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 02:15:29 PM »

Hi all

Thank you for replying and sorry for delay. This article is quite interesting and I've concluded you'd need to do a lot to see an impact. Totally agree that it helps with mood and keeps you sane :)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/417189-can-exercise-reduce-estrogen-levels/

starfish

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 02:43:53 PM »

This is interesting - I run a lot (not super fast, but regularly, including half marathons) and at just 50 really do have increasing symptoms now (flushes et al) - no period for 16 months.

I have a doctor's appt soon and am actually wondering whether patches (having read loads here, estradot + utrogestan would be my first choice) would be ok for someone who exercises a lot - they wouldn't slide off?  :-\

Mind you, who knows what the GP will say, I've never had a lot of help before...

Starfish X

Niamh

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 02:49:15 PM »

Glad it's useful! I use the gel so just make sure I put it on either a good few hours before I run or after my run post shower. Gel might be better for a runner but trial and error! Happy running though great for mood :)

Samade

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 03:30:19 PM »

I ran a half marathon in sweaty conditions yesterday and my patch didn't move at all. As long as you don't put it by a seam you will be fine, sweaty exercise is no problem  ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 04:06:15 PM »

I think that this question has been asked previously  :-\ ......... maybe in one of our threads about hobbies?

starfish

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 05:40:08 PM »

Thank you very much for comments (apols I hadn't spotted previous thread)!

For me too, running is incredibly effective for reducing stress and lifting mood...cheers to all other menopausal runners.

Starfish X