Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Irritability affecting my friendships  (Read 2258 times)

Tish

Irritability affecting my friendships
« on: September 26, 2017, 02:18:31 PM »

Hi all new to this. I'm 7 years post menopause and had few symptoms or so I thought.
I'm normally really laid back but I've been getting more and more irritable and argumentative which is losing me friends. I'm also getting paranoid and more anxious. I'd been told it was due to low vitamin D but beginning to have doubts. I've got a doctors appointment on Friday and I'd like to go armed with some ideas for treatment. I don't want to take antidepressants I don't think that's the problem. Any suggestions? Thanks

peri

Re: Irritability affecting my friendships
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 03:28:38 PM »

If you're 7 years post meno Tish then your oestrogen is probably very low.  Oestrogen is the feel good hormone and some women need a certain amount to feel like themselves (I'm one of them).  The green tab at the top of this site lists treatments available, have a browse around.  I can recommend the hrt I take (evorel patches), they're very good, and also lots of ladies get on well with the gels.  Hope this helps x

Tish

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 04:54:07 PM »

Thanks both. Vitamin D treated by go with very high dose pills and improved but not brilliant

Tish

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 04:56:09 PM »

Sorry can't seem to reply to peri. How long do you have to take it to get any effects?

peri

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 05:05:25 PM »

I felt better within 24 hours on the patches, that's how I know my oestrogen was low.  Not everyone is so lucky though, finding hrt that suits you seems to be the hard bit, so it is trial and error.  Progesterone part is a bit harder, I take utrogestan (vaginally), and find it the best of a bad bunch.  I usually have a couple of 'off' days as it leaves my system, but feel well the rest of the month - so definitely worth it x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 06:11:55 PM »

Browse round.  Make notes.

Some ladies find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary useful, to discuss with their GP or Practice Nurse.  Maybe think which symptom you would like to ease first.

It can take a while for VitD to make a difference and you maybe need to continue until the Spring.

greenECLECtus28

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 08:03:27 PM »

Yes I have a low Vit D that came back in blood tests and I have been prescribed a 3 month regime of 800ug per day then to get retested.

With regards to the mood thing I can completely understand I live with my dad (84) and my son (19) and recently over the last 8 months or so I have been an absolute C*W to live with I just fly off the deep end for the slightest thing and get in to arguments over what everyone else thinks is nothing but for me it's as if no one is listening I do think some of the health issues I have been dealing with and the anxiety that has brought has been a contributing factor but I feel as if my hormones have been fluctuating as well as also I have been bursting in to tears for no apparent reason over the daftest things  :) this menopause can be like an absolute roller coaster.

I can understand you not wanting to take antidepressants that's what one of the GP's in my practice wanted me to take but I felt that it was the health issues I was having that was giving me the anxiety and if I could get those addressed then things would improve HOWEVER I have taken them in the past for a year when my mum died as it was a very traumatic experience and they did help to get me on an even keel but personally after I had other help CBT and seeing a phycologist I stopped taking them weaning off gradually but I have friends who take them and they do improve their life there's no doubt about that I think you just need to discuss everything fully with your GP maybe at this point in your life you just need a little extra help  :foryou:

Tish

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 05:20:42 PM »

Thanks all. All good advice I've got a few ideas to go in with. I've done the high dose vitamin D thing and have been on a low dose antidepressant for 3 years don't think it's helping much. Knew it was too good to be true having no other symptoms!