Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Edinburgh visit.  (Read 7899 times)

milly

Edinburgh visit.
« on: September 17, 2017, 06:44:11 PM »

We are having 3 days in Edinburgh in October, has anyone got any tips on how to make the best of this visit.
We are going on the train, so hopefully will use public transport and our feet!

There seems such a lot there to do.

Thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Edinburgh visit.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 06:59:39 PM »

Oh how lovely!  I'm sure someone will be along ......... I always look at the on-line Tourist Information for the area.  Have you booked somewhere to stay?

milly

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 07:02:34 PM »

Yes, we have booked a premier inn, we thought it would be a good base, as hopefully we will be out for most of the day and evening, and didn't think we needed a cosy hotel to relax in!

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 07:12:26 PM »

Enjoy!

dulciana

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 09:28:33 PM »

We are having 3 days in Edinburgh in October, has anyone got any tips on how to make the best of this visit.
We are going on the train, so hopefully will use public transport and our feet!

There seems such a lot there to do.

Thanks

I live there, Milly, so let's see....  First thing - October's usually quite a bit colder here than in the south (if that's where you're coming from) so take a coat of some sort and probably something woollen. 

Edinburgh Castle's always worth seeing, for starters - you can also look out over the city and the sea from the castle ramparts.
The Royal Mile offers an interesting day's worth of history, sight-seeing and Scottish gifts/clothes shops, plus eateries.
An area I'd recommend for eating out is the Leith area along the sea front - and it's also where the Royal Yacht Britannia is moored.  It's also worth saying that an open-topped hop-on-hop-off tourist bus visits this area.
If you're interested in theatre and concerts, the Lyceum Theatre and the Usher Hall are next door to each other, near to Princes Street (city centre).  There's also the Festival Theatre along The Bridges, not too far from the Royal Mile and several art galleries in/near the city centre.
If you want to go clothes' shopping, try Princes Street, George Street and (for designer clothes) Multrees Walk.
Bus fares are £1.60 flat rate single, I think £4 for a day ticket...........and of course there are also the new trams (which I've yet to go on!)
Edinburgh has three bridges across the Forth - one rail bridge and two road bridges, including a swanky new one!  Worth a trip out to Queensferry see these.
That's about all that comes to mind instantly, Milly, but if I can think of anything else, I'll post!
Oh, and there's also Arthur's Seat, the hills within the city!

Dulciana
x

« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 09:36:57 PM by dulciana »

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 09:57:45 PM »

Ooh I love Edinburgh but have only ever been at the time of the festival which is a different experience entirely but have still done some of the tourist things - so this is from a tourist rather than resident point of view - Royal Mile, castle ( though not right inside), Arthur's Seat (fabulous walk and view), an art gallery ( can't remember which!), and the concert halls. Dulciana which is the one that is really steep - is that the Usher Hall? That one's amazing - saw a classical concert in there (if it was Usher) from right up in the gods. Quite dramatic. Also I don't really go for tourist attractions but one I loved was "The real Mary King's close" which is underground near the top of the Royal Mile - basically some of old Edinburgh (very narrow streets called closes - were just built over and not demolished and some survives underneath the newer buildings - really atmospheric imagining people living in these streets and passages. If you like that sort of thing then do that. Also if you're not a walker but want a view then climb the Scott Monument in Princes Street ( lots of steps) right in the centre of Edinburgh. You can't miss it! Also go to Jenners old-fashioned department store ( in Princes Street) and have a coffee in one of the upper floor coffee shops at a table overlooking Princes Street if you can - I think there are several cafes in the store. There are loads of things I haven't done due to being at the festival so that's all I can remember. I ate at a lovely little place in Leith once a few years ago but can't remember the name ( that's helpful isn't it!).

The first few times I went mainly by train, once in camper van and the last two times by plane (from SW England) - bit of a mission on the train but great though! Haven't been for a couple of years but plan to go again next year as having withdrawal symptoms from the festival. It's always really expensive staying there that time and hard to find somewhere reasonable - I usually go by myself. I imagine that it won't be quite as expensive in October anyway!

Dulciana such an amazing place to live :)

Have a fab time milly - and hope to hear all about it!!

Hurdity x

milly

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 06:54:11 AM »

Gosh, my very own holiday reps!
Thank you so much, such a lot of detail from you both.

It's a place we've always wanted to go to, and now even more.

I will certainly let you know our experiences.

💐

littleminnie

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 07:42:13 AM »

We went last year, went to the Kings Close tour (loved that), wandered round the shops, went on the Royal Yacht. Make sure you have the right money for the buses as they don't give change.

dulciana

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 08:09:09 AM »

Ooh I love Edinburgh but have only ever been at the time of the festival which is a different experience entirely but have still done some of the tourist things - so this is from a tourist rather than resident point of view - Royal Mile, castle ( though not right inside), Arthur's Seat (fabulous walk and view), an art gallery ( can't remember which!), and the concert halls. Dulciana which is the one that is really steep - is that the Usher Hall? .....................
Hurdity x

Yup!  I don't recommend a giving standing ovation from the Upper Tier (as it's called)!  At least, though, there's a wide, new staircase to take you upstairs and a new cafe on the ground floor.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 08:13:11 AM by dulciana »

dulciana

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 08:12:38 AM »

................Also go to Jenners old-fashioned department store ( in Princes Street) and have a coffee in one of the upper floor coffee shops at a table overlooking Princes Street if you can - I think there are several cafes in the store.............Hurdity x

That's reminded me - at the west end of Princes' Street, the House of Fraser has a top-floor cafe that overlooks the castle.....
D.

Ju Ju

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 09:55:43 AM »

I had a chuckle to myself when I saw Milly post! This is one for dulciana to answer!

dulciana

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 11:14:50 AM »

:) :)
D.

dulciana

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 01:16:41 PM »

Milly, I've just thought of something else - I don't know if you're swimmers, but if you're interested, the Royal Commonwealth Pool is right next to Arthur's Seat. It was built for the 1970 Commonwealth Games and is a championship-size pool with a  diving pool alongside.
Dulciana
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 01:22:45 PM by dulciana »

milly

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2017, 02:27:01 PM »

Wow, genuinely made up with all your replies, we have been swimmers in the past and yes that would interest us.

We will also have a trainee guide dog puppy with us,so all these suggestions will be good experience for her as well.

We hope to go to the theatre with her, so will look up what's on.

The walk to Arthur's seat will probably be her highlight of the visit!!

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2017, 02:39:44 PM »

Oh a puppy walker  :)

I feel a Menopause Charabanc trip coming on  ;D
Pages: [1] 2