Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: My HRT is suddenly not working.  (Read 5815 times)

RydeGirl

My HRT is suddenly not working.
« on: September 15, 2017, 02:23:05 PM »

Hi,
I'm new to this forum so I better introduce myself  :). My name is Lisa and I'm a young 52 years old, I had a hysterectomy 8 years ago and went on to HRT 2 years ago (oestrogen only) because I was getting terrible 24 hour palpitations and migraines. Now menopause symptoms have suddenly come back and with a vengeance even on the 2mg HRT dose, the nausea is debilitating, every joint aches, I'm permanently anxious and depressed and it feels like I'm going totally mad  :-\. I have bipolar which doesn't help either.
I've made an appointment with my doc but the nearest one I can get is in 3 weeks. Even the practice nurse is on a long holiday and the male doctor is horrible. I just can't function like this, can I take an extra 2mg of the Estelle tablet in the evening for now do you think?
I was doing so well and now my life is crumbling. Please any advice would be lovely.
Thank you so much.

Salad

Re: My HRT is suddenly not working.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 03:48:41 PM »

Hi RydeGirl

:welcomemm:

Sorry you've had a hiccup with your HRT - it's horrid to get symptoms when you"ve been doing so well.
It sounds like you do need a review of your dose but as I don't use tablets I'm not going to be any help with doses available with your tablet.
When I had issues with the effectiveness of my HRT I changed from gel to patches which worked well for a time. I do have to adjust doses fairly frequently eg 6 monthly but my GP is really good.

Hope you get sorted soon  :)

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 05:30:44 PM »

Hi Rydegirl

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear you are suffering.

Sometimes women change over time in the way they absorb oestrogen from tablets - after all they have to go through the digestive system as well as the liver so you can never be sure you are getting a consistent dose.

Did you get flushes or sweats before you started the HRT? Maybe the meds you are taking for bipolar are preventing the flushes ( some anti-depressants have this effect) - but then it makes it more difficult to know what level of oestrogen you need and whether you are still having a cycle.

However I definitely would not take an extra tablet without consulting your doctor - 4 mg would be a very high dose. I presume you still have your ovaries?  In your position I would perhaps ask for blood tests - although if you are still ovulating these are unreliable as you would not know where in the cycle you were - but if you have several done it might be an indication maybe? The other thing is to consider is as Salad says - changing to a patch (or gel) which give more consistent dose as they are absorbed through the skin. Which to choose initially would be a matter of preference - patches are usually changed twice weekly and gel applied daily.

I hope you manage to sort something out - and perhaps your bipolar meds also need reviewing ( sorry I can't help with this).

Hurdity x

RydeGirl

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 06:02:05 PM »

Hello
Thank you both for replying :), yes I still have my ovaries, my uterus was removed because of a massive (14lb) fibroid. Two years ago I started having flushes and palpitations and my doctor put me on 1mg Estelle solo which was increased to 2mg. Except for the odd flush and some aching I've been having over been doing pretty well on it, until last week when it seemed overnight everything came back again and more so.
I've been on my present bipolar meds for more than a decade and they are pretty good in keeping me stable, it does sound like somehow the HRT isn't being absorbed in the same way though, or my symptoms have just got worse which is very worrying. I don't want to live like this for the rest of my life! The patches and gel do sound they might be an option, it's just waiting for my  appointment to come round. I feel so sick all the time and just want to lie down.
Thank you for your advice, this is a great site.
Lisa xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 06:44:28 PM »

HORMONES!  >:(  ::)

Was your depression 'stable' prior to the hysterectomy?  Sometimes anxiety etc. can be caused by fluctuating hormones, I used to cry pitifully B4 each bleed even if a period wasn't due .  Would keeping a mood/food/symptom diary help? 

If your own hormones are still generated from the ovaries maybe you need to discuss appropriate dosage with your practitioner.  Do you have regular checks with a Psychiatrist or maybe contact his/her Secretary for advice?

Annie0710

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 10:57:06 PM »

I was on 2mg elleste solo for 13 years and then suddenly I was bombarded with symptoms.  Peri is a devil.  Please don't take more than 2mg, it's the max dose.  a young gp told me to take 6mg and then a senior gp rang me panicky saying not to!

Try switching to a patch or gel.  adding testosterone to my oestrogen gel has helped enormously with palpitations and low mood