Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Is there ever 'The end' to menopause....  (Read 2731 times)

janjan1962

Is there ever 'The end' to menopause....
« on: September 01, 2017, 07:18:28 AM »

hi Ladies
when I am asked this question I always respond with 'there isn't an end' it peaks and dips and one hopes it fizzles out, but it doesn't really end does it?!! Or does it?
when I stopped HRT first time round 5yrs ago I didn't expect to be battered with it this hard and I am talking about it not being straight away. The sweats and lowness only hit me last year. So approx. 4yrs after finishing the hrt!  I am worse than before with the anxiety and low moods. Its just so unfair!
Be so grateful to hear from others on this. :(

cyber hugs to all xx

Taz2

Re: Is there ever 'The end' to menopause....
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 08:52:04 AM »

It doesn't end but it changes over time. Everyone is different of course and I have friends who had none of the peri stuff and no flushes or sweats but now, in their sixties, are suffering from VA but due to not really noticing menopause itself - apart from the cessation of periods - have no idea what's causing the discomfort they are experiencing now. When I mention menopause the usual response is "Menopause? Oh I finished with that YEARS ago!"

As we go further into meno then the oestrogen levels continue to fall. In my case the only way I feel I can keep on top of things and still enjoy a reasonably happy life is to keep on with the HRT. It's a struggle now that I am over 60 as not all doctors like to keep women on it but if you are feeling like this would you be able to start HRT again? The sweats at least should disappear.

Taz x

Marie62

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 09:42:10 AM »

For some it never starts. 3 friends of mine now in their 60s didn't even have flushes! sailed through it without HRT and had no symptoms whatsoever and have been well ever since, other women I've spoken to had the occasional flush and erratic periods but none seemed to suffer from the anxiety/depression that a lot of us on here seem to suffer from. Before I joined this site I had no idea how bad it could be as before my only knowledge of menopause was from those friends that had sailed through it and I foolishly thought I'd be the same ha ha.
What I'd love to know is what do these women have that we don't? That's the million dollar question! have there been any studies into why some women have no problems? I know Japanese women tend to get less symptoms supposedly due to a higher intake of soya but maybe it could just be genetic?I get we're all different but the thought of it going on for years and years is awful.

Butterfly22

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 10:56:43 AM »

Not for me, 18 years of the dam thing, started at 25 I'm 43 now and the doctor said fingers crossed will stop 55-65 but God only knows, I could do with some hormone luck I'm really hoping by my 50's it will be easier xx
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 09:03:35 PM by Lil22 »

babyjane

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 12:01:21 PM »

BLess you Lil22

Our DD and her husband are finding it difficult to conceive and one of the tests that she has had is to check hormone levels for premature menopause.  This is not something I have ever thought about but I am thinking about it now  :(

:bighug:

Butterfly22

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 09:02:46 PM »

Oh no I hope not, I was so lucky to fall pregnant with the endrometrosis but having the choice of any more taken from me was hard.
I really hope it's not that. Let us know when you no fingers crossed 😘Xxx

weathergirl

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 09:09:52 PM »

Breeze, I really like your perspective and it's one I try to embrace as well. 😊

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 10:12:57 PM »

It does end - but there are various stages which can take different times to start and finish.  My main problem is VA - all other mild symptoms other than itchy skin intermittently have gone.

Meg

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 01:09:17 AM »

See no end in sight.  Symptoms began to kick in at 50 and now 63.  Sorry to sound negative, it is how it is for me.

Meg

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 11:09:47 AM »

I talked to a couple of friends last week and they have been 'through' and out the other side with no symptoms remaining, though 1 was really poorly for a few years. 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 11:45:36 AM by CLKD »

linz57

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 11:29:06 AM »

I have a friend, same age as me, almost 60 and she has had no problems at all. The only way she knew she had gone through menopause was the fact that her periods stopped. She has hardly a line on her face and her hair is as thick and bouncy as years ago.
I on  the other hand suffer from urogenital atrophy , insomnia, severe anxiety and my hair feels like coconut fibre!
I'm still suffering, in fact I'm worse the older I get. Peru was a breeze so I suppose I'm making up for that lack of trouble now.

Tomorrow I go to see about getting back on hrt, it's all about quality of life, it's no good struggling just to avoid the added hormones when without them I will end up taking so many different pills I'll probably rattle.
Have you thought about going back on the hrt janjan, even if just a low dose?

janjan1962

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2017, 07:21:48 PM »

Hi Linz57
I keep forgetting to log on and catchup.  Yes I am back on hrt, a higher dose than the GP first gave me as I was still sweating. However its the anxiety with me that is causing me the most distress. I am just beside myself with it!!! Am taking a supplement named 5-HTP that is for anxiety but same as any supplement it has to have time to take effect!! Meantime I just want to curl up in a ball and stay in my house and not face the world!!  I am desperately trying to stay away from AD's because I just cannot cope with my job and the fuzziness I know they will give me.   I just want the anxiety to go!! :'(

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2017, 09:32:04 PM »

I think that I answered your other thread jan?