Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Palpitations  (Read 8646 times)

Bluebell

Re: Palpitations
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2017, 07:30:49 PM »

Hi Trey, you have had a time of it - good to know you're happy with your HRT and bb's.
I think I'll go back and ask for a different HRT. I was given beta blockers a while back but I'm a real coward with any medication and always frightened to take anything. But - with what you've told me I will give them a go when the palpitations are really bad.

Thanks for replying to me.

Carol. X

Bluebell

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2017, 07:35:51 PM »

Thanks, CLKD, JMJ, Katia, Cubagirl I really appreciate all your input and advice...Thank goodness for this forum. Cheers. 😉 X

Joaniepat

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2017, 09:09:56 PM »

Hi Carol, I just wondered if you had considered acid reflux as a possible cause of your palpitations?

I had palpitations when I was in my mid 50s. (I was not taking any oestrogen at the time as my GP refused to prescribe any more due to the HRT scares that were prevalent in the early 2000s.) I had an ECG which was clear and was sent to a cardiologist. He prescribed a beta blocker but this did not help the palpitations in my case.

While waiting for the follow-up appointment I did my own research and discovered that excess stomach acid and acid reflux could result in palpitations because of irritation to the vagus nerve which supplies the heart. So I cut out anything obviously acid (orange juice, tomatoes, coffee etc) and took 2 X 5ml spoons Gaviscon Advance after each meal and before bed. Hey presto, the palpitations started to reduce. I told the cardiologist what I had been doing and he was delighted to get a patient off his books with so little effort! I've rarely had the dreaded palps since (am 67 now).

I just thought my experience was worth mentioning as you could give the Gaviscon Advance and the low acid diet a try; it can do no harm. (You will probably need to ask the pharmacist for Gav. Advance, I only ever see the ordinary on the shelves.)

Just to add that I do take beta blockers now for other reasons and get on fine with it.

Whatever the cause of your palpitations, I hope you find a solution soon, it is a very unpleasant thing to have.

JP

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2017, 10:21:26 PM »

Tnx Joaniepat   :thankyou:

I was advised to take Propranolol on a regular basis rather than as necessary. 

Bluebell

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2017, 08:26:14 AM »

Hi Joaniepat, I have had palpiatations before due to stomach acid when my tummy was inflamed. I had a stomach ulcer when I was in my 30's and occasionally have to take ranitidine when it gives me any problems. I can't drink orange juice but do eat lots of tomatoes, very rarely drink coffee. My biggest vice is dark chocolate 74per cent. I might just take some antacid and see how it goes.
Can I ask if you're on HRT?

Carol. X

Annie0710

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2017, 08:41:37 AM »

I was diagnosed with arrythmia at 40, tried BBs and not sure whether the dose was wrong but I felt worse.  They gave me advice on calming them: either a short quick cough and/or bearing down as if to poo

Whenever I've increased my oestrogen they've got worse! I added magnesium and testosterone roughly the same time and my palps calmed right down.  We've moved house last week and very stressful move and I've noticed my palps returning....... kept my hrt going throughout the move but remembered I've not been taking my magnesium (foot cramps have returned that quick!) so think my missing link could well be mag

Bluebell

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2017, 09:00:07 AM »

Hi Annie0710, I do occasionally use magnesium spray - but it is sporadic. I used to always take a magnesium tablet then thought maybe the magnesium spray would be better - but I forget to put it on sometimes.
I shall remedy that tonight and spray it on. Thanks for reminding me.

Carol. X

Joaniepat

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2017, 09:30:19 AM »

Hi Carol, I have been on Tibolone for the last three months or so, but otherwise have had no oestrogen supplementation since 2003/4. Tomatoes are supposed to be very acid and I try to cut down when the stomach plays up, but it's hard to do. Dark chocolate is my weakness, too. Would find it difficult to cut that out entirely! Same goes for coffee. I suppose 'moderation in all things' is the best way forward for both of us   :)

Bluebell

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2017, 10:19:54 AM »

Hi Joaniepat, I agree with you,  life's too short to be too strict with yourself eh.
I think I do need to cut down on the tomatoes...a little. 🙊
When I have a coffee I usually go for a decaff although I never enjoy it the same.
I think you're right moderation in everything. Cheers. 😉 X

Chocolatemilkshake

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2017, 10:38:14 AM »

Interesting topic. I too get palpitations.... mine definitely are worse when I'm extra stressed and anxious...  chocolate and coffee also worsen them. It's so difficult to cut down on 2 of life's essential items! X

Bluebell

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2017, 12:09:54 PM »

I totally agree. 😉 X

Annie0710

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2017, 03:52:38 PM »

Interesting topic. I too get palpitations.... mine definitely are worse when I'm extra stressed and anxious...  chocolate and coffee also worsen them. It's so difficult to cut down on 2 of life's essential items! X

Go decaf..... it made a huge difference to mine
Pages: 1 [2]