Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Palpitations  (Read 8613 times)

Bluebell

Palpitations
« on: September 14, 2017, 06:38:04 PM »

Hi ladies, I'm now down to quarter of a patch (evoril conti) I was on half a patch but just didn't feel great. Stuck with it since April.
Saw the menopause nurse this morning and she said to continue with the quarter patch and see how it goes.

However have had horrible palpitations/flutterings for about four hours this afternoon - been having them off and on since I started the menopause about five years ago - Not all the time just every so often.
Does anyone else still get palpitations/flutterings five years post menopause?
Some of my friends have had the occasional one but nothing like what I've experienced. I have had three ecg's in the past and twenty four hour monitor and nothing showed up. Would just like to know I'm not alone in this experience. Just for piece of mind. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Also...since starting HRT and although it was just half a patch and then quarter of a patch..I've suffered with constipation?!?! Anyone else get this with the patch? 😩

Taz2

Re: Palpitations
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 08:07:46 PM »

Hi Carol - I get the fluttery palpitations when I stop HRT. It seems to be normal for some women to experience this as the oestrogen levels drop. It seems as if you have been investigated for any other problems. Not sure what to suggest if you have had to come off HRT. Someone else might have more advice though.

As for constipation - I find HRT gives me the opposite so I can't really help there!

Taz x

Bluebell

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 08:32:23 PM »

Cheers Taz, thanks for replying. x

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 08:36:03 PM »

How are you feeling without HRT apart from the palpitations?

Taz x

Bluebell

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 08:48:21 PM »

I'm still wearing quarter of a patch at the moment. I decided to wean myself off because the HRT was making me feel really anxious.
I went on it because of the palpitations, night sweats, hot flushes....which I've had for the last five years. The HRT was great for the night sweats and flushes but I hated feeling anxious.

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 08:51:30 PM »

Yes some types of HRT can make you feel very jittery. Evorel is known for this as it contains norethisterone as the progesterone part which some women get on well with but others develop PMT type symptoms plus anxiety and low mood. Is it the only one you have tried? There is another patch called FemSeven which is less likely to cause these sorts of symptoms.

Taz x  :)

Bluebell

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 09:02:24 PM »

The thought of trying something else is a bit daunting - I'll see how desperate I get.
I'm coming up for 64yrs. I would have thought I would be finished with it all. I can put up with most of the symptoms but when the palpitations start I find it hard to ignore them. 😬
It's great being able to come on this forum and discuss it all. Carol. X

Bluebell

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 06:49:27 AM »

That must have been horrendous working in a Cardiac unit whilst having palpitations - that would have sent me right over the edge! 😬
I have been given beta blockers but haven't taken them yet. With what you have said I feel more confident to try them. Can you just take them as and when?
All my friends and female aquaintances have all sailed through the menopause with very little disruption!?!? 🤷🏼‍♀️ Do you mind me asking if you're on HRT?

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 08:22:55 AM »

Hi Carol Litster

Sorry to hear that you are getting palpitations which are worsening I think after reducing the HRT? As Taz says this is a common symptom of menopause (low oestrogen) which HRT at the right dose may well alleviate. What a pity that The Evorel made you feel like this.

I am your age (64) and still taking HRT - 50 mcg patch with separate progesterone and haven't tried reducing the dose for 4 years - last time I reduced to 37.5 the flushes came back so I am still on it. However I still take it cyclically because of the side effects from the progesterone and I wouldn't want to take this all the time. I never get flushes, sweats, palps or anxiety (despite being a natural worrier!).

Have you ever thought of changing type since Femseven has a different progestogen in it and you may tolerate it better? If there is nothing wrong with your heart and the palpitations are due to low oestrogen, maybe it would be better to try to get back to a decent level of oestrogen if you can as it will also help with flushes and sweats - I can see they (palps) would be worrying? Your choice to do what's best for you. In my case I couldn't take beta-blockers because they lower blood pressure and my blood pressure is already very low so I keep on with HRT!

When you say finished with it all - the thing is oestrogen deficiency lasts for ever and can have long term health consequences. Also some women (sadly) continue to get symptoms for may years so best not to compare yourself with your friends - you are you and what you are experiencing is as it is!

Hope you manage to find the right treatment :)

Hurdity x

Katia

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 10:44:01 AM »

I can't help with the patch, but i do know I get constipated if I have too much estrogen and looser when i have too little.

cubagirl

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 03:42:34 PM »

I get palpitations & as I'm only on half a 25mg several patch, highly unlikely it is related to HRT. Recent heart monitor, for funny dizzy spells, showed absolutely normal rhythms. As Trey says our bodies become accustomed to being on alert. Anxiety sets mine off, not HRT. Discuss with your GP Carol.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 04:12:08 PM by cubagirl »

Katia

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 06:24:44 PM »

I have had a racing heart, but only since starting HRT and only with the oestrogel. It stopped when I stopped the gel. I wondered if they came from too much estrogen. Maybe it comes from unbalanced estrogen.

jmj

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2017, 06:29:42 PM »

Try adding (lots of) Magnesium. That's what calmes mine.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2017, 06:36:31 PM »

Carol wrote: "The thought of trying something else is a bit daunting - I'll see how desperate I get."

Maybe keep a mood/food/symptom diary for 3-4 months  B4 making any further decisions about stopping?  If you then decide to try going without HRT continue with the diary to compare notes?

Fortunately palpitations haven't yet raised their ugly head for me ......... I take a beta-blocka 20mg night and day to ease anxiety surges so perhaps without that medication, who knows? 

Is it a feeling that you could tolerate, knowing that it isn't dangerous? 

Bluebell

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 07:22:12 PM »

Hi Hurdity, nice to know you are the same age as me. Having just started HRT at this age I did wonder about the safety issues. 😬
 I think I will go back to the Meno Clinic and discuss trying a different patch.
Is Femseven bio identical do you know?
There is a very good article in the Guardian today (I read it on line) about the effects of HRT.
Thanks for replying to me.

Carol. X
Pages: [1] 2